Thread: Very newbie question but im not sure how they do fast cuts in product reviews...

1. Default Very newbie question but im not sure how they do fast cuts in product reviews...

Whenever I see videos about product reviews or what not I often notice they have a medium shot of the person and the product in frame and they have a close up shot of the product in frame

my question is this, using just ONE camera (cuz i only have one) how do they cut between the medium and the close shots. I know i can zoom in between both shots, but i dont want to do that, and if i remove the zooms in post, there is nothing there where the person is talking. the only way i can think that this could be overcame (again with ONE camera) is have the person stop talking, zoom in and then resume his dialogue..

is there another way they do this? I am working on a cooking show and i need to have far and close cuts too and this is a major problem for me..

Thanks

Is it a live show or is it an infomercial type thing.. If its the same thing over and over you can film it twice at diffrent angles..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

"how do they cut between the medium and the close shots." They use two or more cameras in a studio, but as you only have one you will either have to record the action a second time with tighter framing and from a different position or zoom in. When I read your question first I thought you were talking about picture in picture but then I saw the word 'cut', so that would involve new framing and a new camera position.

Hang on - you're filming on a cooking show and you don't know how shows go from wide shots to closeups?

No offense to yourself, but how did you end up getting the gig? Tell me it's not a 'no pay great for your CV' kind of thing? Sorry if I sound offensive; I don't mean to be but I don't understand how this kind of thing happens. And good move coming to find the solution to your problems in advance as well.

The answer to your question is cutaways.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cdf View Post
    Hang on - you're filming on a cooking show and you don't know how shows go from wide shots to closeups?

No offense to yourself, but how did you end up getting the gig? Tell me it's not a 'no pay great for your CV' kind of thing? Sorry if I sound offensive; I don't mean to be but I don't understand how this kind of thing happens. And good move coming to find the solution to your problems in advance as well.

The answer to your question is cutaways.
    not takin, the cooking show wasnt a paid gig, it was just something me and some friends wanted to do, i was pretty sure how this was done but wasnt 100% sure ...

Can I ask what you mean by 'not takin'? I read it as 'not talking' or 'not taking' but guess it could also mean 'not taken' as in you didn't take the gig. I suspect I'm just being dumb.

But as I said it is done through cutaways. Film lots of closeups of people chopping vegetables, throwing things into pots, dropping on seasonings, grinding pepper etc. So when you are filming the actual event you will be on a wide, then at some point crash in to a closeup (don't go for a long slow zoom as these are never any good in the edit - get to your new shot as quickly as possible). You then use one of your cutaways to cover the point in time while your camera is changing shot. Hold on your closeup for a while, then crash out to a wider shot again etc

As with anything like this, it'd be worth watching some other cookery stuff beforehand - watch what kind of cutaways they use, what angles they use etc etc. and try and work with that in mind.

And always remember you can never have too many cutaways!

Blog Entries

Jeesh Blackout - that I Robot must blow your mind ! Lols.