Thread: Opinons on my first wedding video vignette

1. Default Opinons on my first wedding video vignette

My sister is a photographer and she pitched this idea to this couple about a video/photo vignette. I agreed to take on this project. With literally no experience using a camcorder or final cut pro (this is spent a bit of time learning), i put together this 10 minute video. The bride absolutly loved it for what it was, i was wondering if i could get your opinions on it here. Mind you this is not the greatest videography ever, but i did spend alot of time in the editing room.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/2936717]The Wedding of Catherine & Lee on Vimeo[/ame]

Blog Entries

Hey there, thanks for posting. Unfotunately, I didn't watch all of it (watched the first minute or so, yep, these kids and their short attention span!).

I think it's a great example of what you can teach yourself quickly. However, from a purely stylistic point of view, the viewer is drawn a bit bit much to the cuts from the video to the stills. I think the pacing of the zoom is a bit too fast, meaning you feel like there is too much happening. A slower pan / zoom accross the image (or one that speeds up) would have fitted better to the general pace of the video and music.

However, as a first effort it's fab. Well done and I hope you've now got the bug!

Flicked through the clips and didn't listen to the sound either. But from what I saw you have a good eye and feel for the imagery that would put many established operators on their arses.
    I know the stills took priority in the edit and they shone really well, but for a complete novice on the film & edit you have a bright future.
    Now you have (nearly) got to grips with it all . . . keep it up!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Yeah, I liked it too. Was the choice of music yours or the brides? I would have gone for something less recognisable but then again that is just personal taste. I think it worked on a lot of levels, visually and from a narrative point of view, it certainly captured the eesence of the day and as you say the bride was very happy with it. I think one or two title slides were the wrong size near the start of the video, I may be wrong but I noticed black bars on them and the other ones didn't have them.

There was a very noticeable drop in the music just before the couple exchanged vows, that needs to be much more subtle. In the out takes at the end you could have gotten closer to the action, I think you stood behind the photographer on two occasions and we couldn't see what was happening in front. Some more exteriors would have been nice, maybe drop a few of the pictures and get candid video shots of family and friends instead.

PS - stick your video on YouTube as no one watches anything on Vimeo, they just don't get the viewers YouTube gets.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 03-03-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Blog Entries

My congratulations go to the photographer, there are some really excellent images there.

The video work didn't quite come up to scratch in my opinion. Bad framing, exposure and some very unsteady camerawork let the product down. The poor camerawork was even more noticeable because the stills are so good. The slow motion is a good idea, all footage tends to look better in slo-mo but it couldn't diguise the tromboning and hosepiping.

I liked the music and the way it changed for the vows (I presume they were recorded later, not "live" in situ) and the sound recording was well done. I didn't like the constant slide-show effect with a fade-out Picture fade-in time after time but that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

All in all not bad. Excellent stills, poor to average video and acceptable editing.

I guess we should all look back at our very first effort at filming and editing. I'm sure we all felt extremely proud that we'd managed to capture sound and vision, drag some stills and music on there, then output the final result.

For me it was many years ago and I remember it seemed insurmountable at times, but eventually . . . after many late nights and genuine anguish, it all clicked into place.
    I know systems and software has made most aspects of editing so much easier and click friendly, but this still merits a small ripple of applause from me for what is described as a 1st attempt with cam and edit system.

Maybe we should all dig out our 'very 1st attempt' masters, upload them and have a group cringe
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Maybe we should all dig out our 'very 1st attempt' masters, upload them and have a group cringe
    Sounds like a good idea to me!

My wedding video was recorded as an IFO file. How can I make it a MPEG or better format? Our wedding video is chapter in this long video file and I do not know how to edit it. Is there an editor that can view/recognize an IFO file? Thanks in advance!

Tennessee Limousine
    Last edited by Jennie Andi; 03-12-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries

If that was a pro and it was my wedding Iwould break thier fingers off.

If it was a mate doing my wedding for free i would be well pleased.