Thread: How best to charge for DVD creation

1. Default How best to charge for DVD creation

Not sure if this is the best place to post this query but here goes!!

I have been asked to do a commercial shoot for a local video jockey who wants a DVD to send out to potential clients to illustrate how his services are different from the 'norm'.

However, I'm unsure as to how to charge for a DVD creation - as the client typically gets copyright when shooting is complete does this mean they can then use the contents of the DVD to later create their own web video for instance or should I protect the DVD contents so what's on it can't be burnt for use anywhere else.

Also, do I just charge for one DVD and then charge for each subsequent DVD made or do I just give them the DVD thus allowing them to burn off as many copies as they like for later use?

I'm only charging the guy a small fee and he could supply me with future work so I don't want to upset him but subsequently I don't want to charge him a small fee for the DVD for him to then go and do whatever he likes with it (or is this just the reality of a videography business?)

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed or what industry practice is are most welcome (I"m meeting him tomorrow PM so any help before then even greater appreciated??)

Thanks in advance

Matt

Blog Entries

I dont often do payed jobs. However I always think of myself as a film maker not a dvd duplicator. I cant advise on rights stuff as I prefer to work in a paperless fashion - all word of mouth and cash. I am sure that is bad advice so dont do that. Lols.

My last job I told the guy how he could copy discs or said I could do for a few quid a disc.

I dont think you should price a job depending on what the client will do / make from the disc.

Promises are cheap and usually easily forgotten once they have their hands on something they can spit out for pennies.

I'd price it per hour for film and edit. That way, they get to the point without faffing about and wasting your 'free' time.

Unless he's specified otherwise, the copyright stays with the creator and you 'could' ask a fee for transfer for unlimited use - That move could be your 'ace' to maybe give away once he agrees to paying a commercial rate for the rest.

Create an eye catching sleeve and face print for the DVD and he 'may' come back for more copies . . . but don't bank on it.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

4. Default

Thanks for that. So I guess there isn't a way to lock the video on the DVD so it can't be copied or pulled off the DVD as its own file? That could provide a level of financial security I guess?

It can be protected, for a fee, but only against the casual copiers. Anyone with any nounce can drag the file into a myriad of apps and produce their own copies.

Far better to make your money on the production then pass the reproduction onto them.
    They usually fish round their own sources for the cheap rates anyway, so I wouldn't depend on that for a source of Katchup.

p.s. If you've already said you'll do it for . . . nearly nothing, put a tag line on the film with produced by' your website/contact details which will give you equal publicity when distributed.
    If they want one without the spoiler . . . Negotiate!
    Last edited by Zero; 03-03-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: add info
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Hello,

My company just completed a(nother) promotional DVD for a client of ours. It sounds like the situation is similar to yours, and we wrestled with the same dilemma. In the end, after consulting field experts and arguing amongst ourselves, here's how we went:

- We chose to RETAIN rights to the footage (this should be within your legal ability, depending on where you are), giving us sole ability to copy/distribute future copies of the disc.
    - This was enforced via a signed contract between us and the client, stating that my company was to handle duplication of any future discs. We negotiated a minimum rate PER PRODUCED DISC (ended up at about 1.25 per disc, including a label).
    - Our client ordered 250 discs up front, so we charged a base rate for our time and editing (100 / hour USD, approximately), as well as the 1.25/disc rate for all 250.

- In the end, we made our client understand that we are able to produce his discs for a COMPETITIVE PRICE; even if he were to disregard the signed contract and go elsewhere without our knowledge, our offered rate of 1.25 per disc wasn't something many other companies could beat by much. We did not make very much on the duplication of the DVDs, but at a net cost of .35ea to produce, we were clearing nearly $1 per disc; if your client finds a price of 2.00USD or less per disc unreasonable, your client needs to do some research into the price of current duplication pricing.

I don't know of any of this helps.. but basically you should either
    A. RETAIN RIGHTS TO THE PRODUCED MATERIAL AND CHARGE HIM A PER-DISC FEE
    or
    B. SELL HIM THE MATERIAL FOR A HIGH UP-FRONT COST -- he'll legally own what you've edited, but he can produce it on his own and at his own pace and at his own price.

Cheers,
    Jason

7. Default

Thanks for all the useful information guys! I had a meeting with the client on Tuesday and am in the process of drawing up a contract so this is great stuff for the mental wok!

Now all I need are some ideas on how best to shoot a promotional film for a video DJ??? Erm .......