Thread: help with editing for my project

Default help with editing for my project

right so this work for college i am making, i have the usage of the adobe cs3 suite
    so premiere pro, after effects,

I want to do something similar to a schizophrenic/multiple personality concept in the footage, the person acting will be only me.

I was thinking of incorporating a mirror to maybe make it easier/maybe more scary because i wanted his 'imaginary'/alter ego type to appear behind him sudden like in horror films sometime.

so to do this i would need to record myself as both people. then overlap the videos so they are in sync. how can i make the 2 videos overlap letting it show each person cos i want the guy like appear stood behind the guy lookin in the mirror.

There may be the need to hide the tripod too as the camera may be in the way but i'll have to mess around with the angle its at

thanks for readin i know its long, but i guess its better u know more than not enough

Blog Entries

You can achive this effect in one of two generic ways:
    • By using a split screen
    • By using green screen
    1. Split screen: This is the simplest method to achieve what you want. You will need to follow these simple steps.
      • Set up
        • First of divide your theortical screen into two sections. One with your 'own' self and the other with your 'other' personality. Ordinarily, you would want to 'act' in seperate parts of this theoritical screen, but in this case, you'll be acting in the same half more on this later)
        • Once you've divided your view into two, find a marker this theoretical line. When acting, you won't be able to cross over this line.
      • Filming
        • Now set up a camera on a tripod. Whatever you do, do NOT move this. You'll film two takes of the same scene. One with your dialogue, the othetr with your alternate persona's dialogue.
        • Film the first, acing as yourself. Make sure you stay on the left hand side only, assuming the mirror is to the right.
        • Now film the second, acting as the mirror self.
        • In both takes, stand in exactly the same place in front of the mirror.
        • It would be good to have another two cameras set up. One pointing a crros the line from the right, the other accross the line from the left.
      • Post production
        • Import your video into Premiere
        • Place the two clips on the timeline above each other
        • Now use the crop effect to crop the left range from the top video and the right range from the bottom video.
        • Use the cutaways where appropriate (the second and third cameras)
      • You will now have a video of you talking into the mirror and your other persona replying in the mirror.
    2. Green screen: isn't really appropriate for this type of video as it's very easily acheived using the split screen.

Blog Entries

Apologies, I mis-read your post. I imagined that you would be taking to yourself in the mirror, but having a conversation with this person. You should be able to use the above generic process to achieve what you want though.