Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i tried searchin this but couldnt find it anywhere about lapel mics..

1. Default i tried searchin this but couldnt find it anywhere about lapel mics..

What exactly do you need to use a lapel mic? I mean I understand that the lapel mic transmits the audio, but where does it go, how do you record it? do you need another computer recording the audio, or does it record in another box?

I hope you guys understand what im asking, and help will be appreciated

Blog Entries

Generally a wireless microphone will transmit a signal to a receiver. This receiver can then feed the signal to your recording device, such as a camera used to film the event / scene. If a separate device is used, the audio will need to be synced with the video in post.

When do you need it? When you want to pick up a specific audio from a distance.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 03-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.

3. Default

okay if i connect the receiver to the camcorder via XLR (is this connection possible?) then does it sync wit the video in the camcorder automatically?

if i want to connect the reciver to my computer what would i need to do that?

Blog Entries

There are all sorts of tie-clip mics (sometimes called lavalieres). One type works on a cable which goes directly into your camcorder so the sound and picture will be recorded together. You can plug this into a stand-alone recorder, or your computer and record the sound seperately if you wish. The other type is connected to a small wireless transmitter. This sends a signal to a receiver which can be plugged into your camcorder or a seperate recording device.
    Modern (ie in the last 20 years) video records a combined sound and picture signal which will always be in sync unless you seperate then in the editting stage.

If you tell us what you're thinking of doing (or what you've seen) maybe we can be a bit more specific in our answers.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-01-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    okay if i connect the receiver to the camcorder via XLR (is this connection possible?) then does it sync wit the video in the camcorder automatically?
    Yes, and yes.

if i want to connect the reciver to my computer what would i need to do that?
    Simply feed the audio via a 3.5mm jack from the reciever to the line in on your motherboard / soundcard.

Blog Entries

Is this related to your other thread?

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sound-r...ely-video.html

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Yes, and yes.

Simply feed the audio via a 3.5mm jack from the reciever to the line in on your motherboard / soundcard.
    i sorta undertstand now HOWEVER, if the reciever's output a XLR only how would i hook that up to my computer. ( i had to edit cuz i thought i could run it through my dj mixer but i cant). so my best guess would be get a wire or somethin that will change the XLR to 3.5mm?

and yes this question is related to the other thread, i realised i needed a lapel mic for the cooking show its just i did not understand how to record the audio...
    Last edited by blackout; 03-01-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries

i sorta undertstand now HOWEVER, if the reciever's output a XLR only how would i hook that up to my computer.
    I would suggest that you make sure that whatever you buy is fit for purpose. If you need to connect to a PC, make sure that's the connection type you get for example.

I would also suggest that you ensure you ask the right question. I think what you really need to know is: "what's optimum method of recording audio for used in a cooking demonstration". This is very different from what you actually asked.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I would suggest that you make sure that whatever you buy is fit for purpose. If you need to connect to a PC, make sure that's the connection type you get for example.

I would also suggest that you ensure you ask the right question. I think what you really need to know is: "what's optimum method of recording audio for used in a cooking demonstration". This is very different from what you actually asked.

no im sure i want to use a lapel mic for that now, this question is unrelated to the other thread lol, i just want to kno what i need now to convert the XLR output to the 3.5 mm input...

Blog Entries

Do you alread have something with an XLR connection? A search for the connector you want is:

xlr to 3.5mm - Google Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast