Thread: Betacam SP recoder - dockable vs deck?

Question Betacam SP recoder - dockable vs deck?

Hello,

I'm reseaching for what could be an efficient and low-cost rig for doing post-production and 3D animation for TV commercials (not in UK).

I'll probably need a used Betacam SP PAL recorder in good condition, for outputting the product and possibly digitizing raw footage as well. I have two options - a dockable recorder (part of a camcorder rig, sold separately) or a recording deck.

What are the pros and cons, besides the price?

It would be used to get the footage in, and get the ready-made 30 or so seconds long spot back out on Betacam SP tapes. In other words, very light usage, as 99% of the time would be modelling, animating, rendering and compositing.

Thanks!
    K_Junior

Blog Entries

Why do you want a betacam ?

It's an analogue format and capturing requires conversion to digital - good convertors cost. Why not use DV or HDV ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Why do you want a betacam ?

It's an analogue format and capturing requires conversion to digital - good convertors cost. Why not use DV or HDV ?
    Sure, I'll need to invest into a quality component video capture card too, something like Blackmagic Design: DeckLink Studio

DV is also on the list, but still, where I live, Beta SP is widely used and requested as final copy.

My concern is only about the possible drawbacks of dockable Betacam SP recoders, if any? Because the price difference between dockable and deck, in the second hand market, is quite big.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by K_Junior View Post
    ... where I live, Beta SP is widely used and requested as final copy.
    Where's that? Nigeria?

Nearly all broadcasters now expect HD as a delivery medium. Those who accept SD expect Digibeta. SP is a twenty year old format which, compared to modern recording, is mediocre at best. As Mark pointed out, as an analogue format it needs to be digitised for you to work on it, so why not shoot in a digital format to start with? A secondhand professional dv camcorder (including dvcam and dvcPro) will cost about the same as a secondhand sp grinder and will often be able to play out (which beta sp camcorders can't do without extra gear) saving you the cost of a player.

I would shoot on DV or HDV and record the result onto the same format. If you absolutely have to deliver on SP, get the result copied onto beta sp at the final stage.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-01-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Where's that?
    I'm guessing Bulgaria based on the prevalence of the format (oh, and that's the country related to the IP address).

Thank you for your replies. Yes, this is Bulgaria, the country with the most TV stations per capita.