Thread: DVD ripping/editing in Vegas, for YouTube. Several problems.

Default DVD ripping/editing in Vegas, for YouTube. Several problems.

Hello everyone! I found this forum via Yahoo.

I am experiencing loads of problems with editing some video and I was hoping to find help here. I searched through this particular forum for some answers, but nothing seemed to really fit my situation. First of all, I am a complete beginner in the world of editing video. I have made a couple of videos from scratch, but I am in 100% uncharted waters here. I will try to explain my troubles in as much detail as I can.
    If you have ever seen the infamous YouTube video of the "short version" of The Big Lebowski (nsfw video if you go to look it up now - nothing but f-bombs), this is basically what I want to accomplish, minus all the cussing.

What I am trying to do:
    I am trying to edit DVDs of a tv show. I'm trying to take many small clips from the show and mix them down to one video compilation.

What I am using:
    I am ripping the DVDs to my hard drive using the program DVD Shrink 3.2. My video editing program is a full, licensed version of Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

My problems:
    There are several. I will itemize them and provide as much detail as possible.

1) After ripping, there are many files in the Video_TS folder. The extensions used from the rip are .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB. The only files that seem to contain the actual episode video/audio are the .VOB file.

2) There are 4 episodes on each disc. The first episode is the only video/audio file that seems to start and stop at the beginning and end of the episode. The other three episodes are mixed up in one another. Some do not have beginnings and some have no endings. Some, both problems.

3) I have tried ripping both compressed and uncompressed. Same problems.

4) On some of the files, the audio track flatlines about 3/4 of the way to the end (no sound plays) and the actual audio track does not go to the end of the video track.

5) When I copy the bit(s) I want to use from the first video file that contains the first episode, the sound and video match wonderfully after pasting them where I want them. When I open the next video file (another episode) and copy/paste, the sound doesn't play at all. Then, when I playback from the first set of copy/pastes, the previously successful ones, the sound breaks in and out.

In my novice video editing, I suspect the initial problem is in the ripping. If this is not the case, I am at a loss. If this is the case, well, I am still at a loss.

I can provide screenshots of my project if it will help to convey my issue.

So, would there be any video editing gurus here that might be able to lend a poor guy a hand? You would make my life SOOOOO much less frustrating. This, in turn, will make my wife much happier, fully increasing the quality of my life.

Thanks in advance,
    Ghazkhull

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazkhull View Post
    I am ripping the DVDs to my hard drive using the program DVD Shrink 3.2.
    Your problems probably stem from there. You don't want to be mucking about with VOB files etc.

Vegas has the facility to import DVDs which transcode (if that's the correct term) the DVD into files it will deal with comfortably.

File | Import | DVD Camcorder Disc

will create one mpeg per menu item and do exactly what you want. (Ignore the "camcorder" bit, it works with any DVD - at least tose I've tried though I've never tried it with a commercial copy protected disc)
    Tim

It wont import copy protected dvds or un finnalized dvds. There is software you can get that will bypass he copy protection, wont meantion any names but a google search will show it..

Since you brought up dvd sgrink I will make one comment.. dvd shrink is old and not supported any longer. The guy who made it went to work for nero and agreed on abandoning it in order to take the job.. And so it wont decrypt any newer disc as they tweek the protection almost as fast as the new disc come out...
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    It wont import copy protected dvds or un finnalized dvds
    Thanks for the clarification, Wil. Save's me trying it - not that I can think of any reason I'd want to import a commecrail copy protected DVD anyway, other than helping out others in this forum
    Tim

You're welcome.. Yeah I agree.. here in the US the law on coping disc is odd.. you're allowed to copy disc you own as a back up.. and if you sell or give away the original you are required to destroy or give it along with the store bought disc.. but the DMCA says you cant decrypt the copy protection... so one law says you can but another says you cant...lol
    Wil

Software Used:

Well, on the hunch that the problem was with the initial rips, I set about looking for a new program. I found Magic DVD Ripper and it solved everything! Everything so far, that is....
    I'm sure I'll still get lost again, before I'm through.

Thanks for the replies and the info!

Ghazkhull

You're very welcome!!
    Wil

Software Used: