Thread: Aspec ratio and editing

Tauranga, NZ

Default Aspec ratio and editing

I have searched high and low for a simple explanation of the implications of editing and Aspect Ratio.
    I understood that if you shoot in 4:3 you should edit in 4:3 and similarly for 16:9.

1. Can you mix the ratios in a video? - would it then produce a video in the ratio you have chosen when setting up the project in the first place?

2. If the software will deal with both then what is the effect on the quality of the ratio when changed by the editing software?

3. Can you edit in one ratio and save in the other? What is the quality effect in this case?

Alternatively can anyone point me in the direction of information on the internet that would adequately explain the whole concept?

you shouldn't come up against any problems.

if you insert 4:3 video into a 16:9 project you'll get black bars on the right and lefthand sides of the screen. if you put 16:9 video into a 4:3 project the sides will be cut off.

Sometimes i have to mix 4:3 footage with 16:9 footage beacause we ocationally run out of cameras and have to use an old one which shoots in 4:3 with black bars on thw top and bottom giving a "fake" 16:9 picture. i just zoom it in.

There is some pretty good information here
    Adobe Encore CS4 * Aspect ratios Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more