Thread: my first 'commercial' project

Default my first 'commercial' project

Hi all,

just completed my first commercial project - it is a promo/teaser for a new novel by a local author, commissioner by his publishers.

the video is intended as a youtube video that will hopefully create interest for the book - it will also be shown on the publishers website and may even get a spot in selected 'blackwells' stores.

honest feedback is appreciated!

thanks!

I thought it was good. The only thing that stands out is the end. The reviews at the end could have been up a little longer. It was very creative in my opion.. nice job
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Honestly? It failed to grab my attention. Watching it, I didn't have a clue what was going on, but, crucially, not in a way that made me want to go aout and find what was going on (ie buy the book).

Much of the imagery was really excellent and eye catching.

Most of the voices were wholly unconvincing, they sounded like someone pretending to be a character rather than a character. Otherwise the choices of sound were good.

I agree entirely with CP about the reviews - no time to read them.

If it has to be that long, perhaps an image of the book or a title or whatever is required at or near the beginning. I don't think people will sit through 2 mins (especially on YT) to find out it's promoting a book.

This sort of longer trailer may work in a cinema, where you have a captive audience who are prepared to wait for the payoff, but on the internet? Forget it.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-01-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: dreadful typos - apologies
    Tim

Agree with Tim.

5. Default

Some great imagery there but agree that it just misses the point for me on some levels - a video to promote a book?? Maybe that's where the juxtaposition lies??

thanks for the feedback!

the version shown is the fifth and final (okayed) version, after tailoring it to the clients needs many times. the reviews were originally longer but they wanted them quicker - to fit more in a short space of time!

the original brief was to create a movie type trailer for the novel - conveying as much of the story as possible in a 2-3minute video (on a VERY small budget)

one thing I would like to ask - is the chroma keying (green screen) convincing? its my first ever attempt at it and found it very difficult - I'm in the process of filming a short film and will be doing more green screen stuff soon so any tips to make it easier would be much appreciated! (i found the lighting particularly difficult!)

Blog Entries

The chroma keying worked as far as I'm concerned.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by izzyorion View Post
    thanks for the feedback!

the version shown is the fifth and final (okayed) version, after tailoring it to the clients needs many times. the reviews were originally longer but they wanted them quicker - to fit more in a short space of time!

the original brief was to create a movie type trailer for the novel - conveying as much of the story as possible in a 2-3minute video (on a VERY small budget)

one thing I would like to ask - is the chroma keying (green screen) convincing? its my first ever attempt at it and found it very difficult - I'm in the process of filming a short film and will be doing more green screen stuff soon so any tips to make it easier would be much appreciated! (i found the lighting particularly difficult!)
    At the end of the day its what the client wants, I did one project that I did not like the out come but the cliet wanted it a certain way.. He basicly edited it, I just did the work..lol In my opion he recieved a poorer video for more money b/c of all the re-editing and extra meetings.. But its what he wanted so its what he got.. and thats what matters.. They pay the bills..

I though the CK was pretty good... At least nothing stood out at me.. I wasn't really looking but since Ididn't notice it I'd sa it was ok.. One thing to remember with CK is to light it well and evenly.. Make sure you talent is far enough away o they don't cast a shadow.. Its better to take a few extra minutes setting up you're lights the it is to fix in post..
    Wil

Software Used:

thanks for that, it was lighting the green screen evenly that i found particularly difficult, as we were using a green curtain rather than a green wall...

a green curtain will work as long as you don't have wrinkles and it has enough contrast.. you can any color you want as long as it stands out..
    Wil

Software Used: