Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer cameras with Mic inputs.

...NOT OP.....
    CalmReason, Why wouldn't you get lip-sync?
    This is an issue when aligning a separate sound-track (eg from a Zoom/PalmTrack recorder).
    However, you can experience sync issues in "Preview" mode, since the PC needs to be high-spec to keep up with the video data, let alone the audio. You need to render and burn a DVD to check sync, using a stand-alone DVD player and TV . . . not your PC.

Mixing camera and external is unlikely to work, giving an "echo" effect.
    Can you explain what you are doing, gear spec and how this Lip-Sync error manifests itself?

Without that, we're left guessing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Mixing camera and external is unlikely to work, giving an "echo" effect.
    I regularly mix a close up mic (lav or boom) with a general purpose stereo source (on-camera, or preferably a separate recorder with better mics - eg a Zoom). Often the lav itself is a bit too "dry". If it's in sync why should there be any "echo" other than that which occurs naturaly in the room?
    Tim

Sorry lost this reply///
    Re that "echo effect"
    purely practical IMHO - that's all. Separately sourced sounds need to be sync by very tight margins, so unless the "camera soundtrack" is essential then by relying on the external track alone, there can be no competition. The benefit of camera-audio being it give you a good graphical sync, even if the "Preview" doesn't want to play.
    In vegas studio, by using the Volume "Rubber-band" only essential foley needs to remain.....it being quite feasible to swap-over the sources as req'd.

I't a great shame that ext mic./ ext headphone skts aren't more common.

However, OP apears to have Gone Away, - so we're spinning our wheels....

My camera has a very poor quality mic, and you can hear the lens or disc moving fairly often. My main requirement is good quality sound and average /poor quality visual, but I wanted good lip sync.

I now have the very excellent H4n from Zoom, but it would be nice to not have to use 'clap and edit' to sync. Some kind of cable that links the two. I don't even need a mic socket, as I am now recording on the Zoom. Is there some way of getting for example a non audible timing tick to put on the video? I would really be happy with a camera for under 70 if I could sync the sound more easily and record straight to SD card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalmReason View Post
    I now have the very excellent H4n from Zoom, but it would be nice to not have to use 'clap and edit' to sync.
    I don't know why some people make such a big deal out of this. I find I can sync up on and off camera sound accurately in mere seconds. One of the tricks is to keep both sources in record - lots of clips means lots of syncing.
    PluralEyes is very good for syncing automatically.
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12