Thread: CCD vs CMOS

Default CCD vs CMOS

i'm searching for a new camera and this change in sensor is confusing me. the latest Panasonic are using 3MOS, their take on 3 x CMOS sensors, but more fundamentally i don't know the difference between a CCD and CMOS camera. can anyone explain in basic terms?

Quote Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
    can anyone explain in basic terms?
    Wish I could ......... It confuses everyone except the real techies.
    Here's a link though HowStuffWorks "What are CCD or CMOS image sensors in a digital camera?"
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

ah, i can see some benefits for cmos

• cheaper production, so cheaper camera costs
    • less power used

but also it suggests the benefits for ccd

• brighter reproduction
    • refined process that has been around for a while

CMOS sensors cost less to produce but they still have a way to go to match the resolution of CCD but like everything else they will catch up one day I presume. CCD also tend to work better in low light conditions with less noise being recorded but you still need a minimum lux level to get a decent image in the first place.

oh dear, i have just about decided on what camera to buy and it has cmos, might need to rethink.

Go on ........... be a divil........... which one?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

it was the Panasonic HDC- SD20, had thought it was better than the SD9 which gets a lot of kudos on here, but the latter are quite hard to find in stock now, proof of their popularity. i was looking around the 500 mark

http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/prodinfo.php?prodid=28412&start=10&thislist=6~28~8 7

If I was going to purchase a Panasonic, I would look at the HDC-SD100 (prices should be falling now as they are bringing out new models in April), it's listed at more than 500 but you never know, you might get it near to that amount if you search around. The reason I would go for it is because it has 3 MOS chips (Panasonic calls them MOS instead of CMOS) instead of 1.

They are only 1/6 inch each in size but given the choice between a 1 MOS and 3 MOS camcorder (each one processes red, green and blue light separately) the end result should be a much better picture than a 1 MOS camcorder. It also has a manual focus ring which the SD9 hasn't got and having access to a manual focus ring is a big plus for me.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 02-27-2009 at 11:32 PM.