Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video editing PC builder in UK

Default Video editing PC builder in UK

Hi all,

I am looking to either buy or get someone to build a dedicated video edting desktop pc that will cope with HDV editing (Sony HVR Z5, imported via firewire/CF card).

Can anyone recommend any competent PC builders in the West Midlands?

I am currently using an Alienware M9700 laptop, specced as follows, but I dont think this will have the grunt etc to handle HDV file sizes etc

Chip: AMD Turion 64 bit 2.01 Ghz
    RAM: 2GB DDR PC3200 SODIMM AW90
    Graphics Card: Nvidia 7900 GS 256mb (x2) SLI enabled
    HDD: HITACHI 100GB 7200RPM SATA MOBILE HDD (OS & all apps)
    Ext HDD: 300GB Seagate (all working files etc)

I've looked at Alienware & Dell so far, but to get something quad core with a decent HDD, you are looking in the region of 3-4K

Any & all help welcome.

Cheers

P.S. forgot to mention, I am using Premiere Pro CS4 & AE
    Last edited by applecrate; 02-27-2009 at 08:05 AM.

woah where are you buying from! you could build your own for a fraction of the cost or b uy from novatech.

from dell - in order of power.quad xeon
    Xeon
    I could probably build you one if you arrange postage from norfolk.
    Last edited by smifis; 02-27-2009 at 08:40 AM.

3. Default

i would always recomend a mac for editing. the amount of times i have lost work after my pc crashing was daft!

granted a mac will cost a little more than a built pc but its well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast View Post
    i would always recomend a mac for editing. the amount of times i have lost work after my pc crashing was daft!

granted a mac will cost a little more than a built pc but its well worth it.
    As much as I like Macs - if he's already got the software and is already used to it, having to buy FCP and get trained up on it would be a significant use (waste?) of time and money.

5. Default

fair point. but a mac and a mac version of premiere cs4 would be less than a 3000 alienware pc

or if they already know premiere the change to final cut is far from huge.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to price up a Mac Pro with beefed up specs on the Apple store (but get monitors from somewhere else) but the Apple store is down for updates at the moment (oooh exciting).

If I had 3,000 to spend I'd certainly keep my options open!!

If you are, or know, a student in higher education, you can get pretty good discounts as well, especially on software!

Blog Entries

Oh perleeeesssseeeeee - can we not roll out that old maccophile nonsnese about xp / vista being unstable in general - the clear implication - cos it just AINT SO - and that's fighting talk !

Any PC is an editing PC - you dont need anything fancy - just something well built with a few drives.

8. Default

sounds like you need a mac mark

This won't turn into a PC vs Mac thread. I'll delete any posts that turn into it

I hate Mac vs PC discussions with a passion, because they're ultimately pointless and irritating.

Agreed Mike Thorpe - Mac VS PC arguments are extremely pointless because they both do great things. There are two cons with solely going macintosh:

1) Blu-Ray is becoming the video standard of the future. I have yet to see a BW drive that's mac compatible and software that supports them.

2) If you're buying a Mac, you're buying the Apple name. If you're going to do solid video editing, get a desktop. I thought about a laptop for myself, but decided to go desktop so I can use either (A) multiple monitors or (B) hook the desktop up to a nice 37-40" 1080p TV.

If I were the person that started the thread, I would go with what you can afford and do research. I will say this - if you are going to edit HD video, use Vista Ultimate 64-bit with at least 5-6GB RAM. Also make sure that your OS and programs are on a separate hard drive (internally) than your projects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast