Thread: Vegas 7 saving file

Default Vegas 7 saving file

Hi, I'm new to vegas, I managed to edit my video, but when I want to save the edited video file what to I do? I've tried file- save as, but when I saved it, It says the file is only 6.08KB, the original video before editing is 700mb and I only cut a very small clip out, can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how to save the edited video so I can burn it to a dvd

Blog Entries

Sorry but I goota say - DOH -

The small file - the .veg is just the edit file - the time line cuts ect. Not the media.

You have ro RENDER the file to finish the film.

Thanks for that, I did say I'm new to Vegas, but what is DOH,

Quote Originally Posted by desperate-Dan View Post
    Hi, I'm new to vegas,
    - Eh? I don't think so? Didn't we have a discussion about "Previewing" . . moving on . .

I've tried file- save as, but when I saved it, It says the file is only 6.08KB,
    Correct. You are saving the project file, ready for you to reopen to work on it again. And yes you are correct in as much as video files themselves are way bigger!

. . . can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong, . . .
    Nothing. You aren't doing anything wrong you just aren't understanding the process/ You will need to render the Project to produce a video file to play or create the all important DVD you are after. If you are doing anything wrong it is you need to read more from the manual about how to go about working within Vegas. Do what I did , read and come here when you are not sure of the next step. But you really now need to help yourself.

Here is a generalised workflow for all this stuff:

Step 1 : Capture footage into Vegas

Step 2 : Audition/Edit your footage by placing on timeline to create a nice video, and save THIS as a working PROJECT file.

Step 3 : Render your Project to produce a finished video for . .

Step 4 : Distribution in the many ways you can think of. And here are just a few:

• DVD - need to create MPEG2 files for DVD Authoring

• WEB - Can be many!!!

• PRINT TO TAPE - Could be for archival purposes OR VHS ( larf!)

• DRAFT-TO-CLIENT (well that's what I call it!) - I use DivX Encoding it is easy and I can understand it!

There are other forms of rendering/encoding: Websites; cell phones; cable; YouTube and Vimeo . . . .

But that's about it really, 4 steps to distribution. You seem to be "stuck" at understanding the overall picture. The project file is NOT the finished video. Please do some reading - it will release you from servitude and make you a wealthy person!

Originally Posted by desperate-Dan
    Hi, I'm new to vegas,
    - Eh? I don't think so? Didn't we have a discussion about "Previewing" . . moving on . .

Yes, but that was some time ago I haven't used vegas since then, so I'm still new to video editing, thanks for your help, top man yourself