Hi I'm new here. I edited films at college using Avid, but have noticed that most jobs for edditors ask that they use FCP. So have decided to purchase this software. Am I right in thinking that it only runs on Apple Mac computers and not PCs? Or is there a PC Version I can buy?
    What sort of specification computer would I need for it to be able to run properly?
    If you don't need an apple would you be able to run it on a laptop by using a decent external hardrive?
    What sort of price would I be paying for it? Is 390 about right? Can you get it cheaper?
    Thanks in advance any help is much appreciated.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

A competant editor can pick up a new app in a few hours.

Being a good editor has very little to do with learning a specific app and much more to do with learning how to edit.

Get an app you find suits your style and then learn to edit - and I dont mean knobs and buttons - I mean the art of edtiting - there again if you work as an editor most of the time in most jobs all you get to do is mind numbing edting by numbers with little chance of creativity - well not for ages.

Manchester, UK

FCP is Apple Mac only, and yes, a lot of places require FCP experience, ignoring any other software, regardless of how established.

Having FCP qualifications under your belt is a good thing too, but it's not the be-all and end-all of editing. A while ago, I was considering getting my own Mac and FCP to try and do some video editing work, so I asked a couple of people I know - one of which teaches FCP and another who works as a freelancer for various TV channels and uses Avid as well as FCP. I've emboldened the bits about FCP in general, but left the other bits in, because they're interesting points about getting a job as a video editor. I've starred out bits that are personal/private:

I think it'd be quite difficult to make a living editing from home from the start off as it takes time to build-up a client base. In fact to be honest I think being freelance initially might be a struggle for the same reason. People tend to hire people they've worked with before, and so it might be more prudent to look for a staff position to get you going. But that could help you move into the sector, as the vast majority of staff positions are in the corporate/shortform video sector - and many of these companies now like people who can do a bit of everything, i.e. video, web, flash, graphics etc.
    Corporate projects can be fun, as the budgets are a lot higher (in terms of s per minute of screen time), and they're often quite glossy and flashy end products.
    The bad news though is that there's likely to be a contraction in this sector in the short term as companies reign-in their marketing spend.

A Mac and FCP will give you a good set-up for home-based work. But although FCP has made an impact on the market, most professional work is still done on Avid. The FCP training courses are great but they won't get you a job. I don't think many employers would actually know what an Apple Certified User is to be honest. In any case all those exams prove is that you know which buttons to press, they don't prove how creative you are, or how well you can tell a story - and that's more important I reckon. Having said that the official training books are really good and I've got most of them myself, as well as doing a couple of them as tutored courses. (If you're interested in doing courses, contact Northwest Vision & Media - Home page : Northwest Vision and Media - as they can offer 70% training subsidies)

Personally, most of my work in in the broadcast sector. It does tend to pay a slightly better daily freelance rate, plus the projects are longer so it's easier to plan ahead. But really the main reason I prefer longform work is that I like crafting stories, I like starting with a mountain of footage and shitting myself how the hell it's ever going to come together. And it's a bit more of a laid-back environment, being less client-facing.

Moneywise it can be good. Freelance is potentially more lucrative but there's zero security. Last year I made about ***** as a freelancer, but after mid-February I have no work in the diary, (and that's quite typical situation to face.) There's a lot of faith placed in the phone ringing! But then I have no dependents, so the consequences of potentially being skint aren't too severe.

I hope all that makes sense. It's certainly fun a lot of the time, and no duller than any other profession the rest of the time. Feel free to give me a shout if there's anything else you'd like to know.

I'll cut right to the chase. Video editing is, for me, a hugely enjoyable activity. I've been doing it for 14 years, I have qualifications in Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, Pro Tools, I teach them all to undergrads and postgrads, I use them all when doing ******* work and other freelance stuff. If there was any money to be made from it, I'd be making it!

Editing used to be the domain of the few, but since technological advancements have meant that pretty much anyone with a Mac or PC can get pro-level software, the number of editors has dramatically risen. Apple Certification certainly sets you apart from the rest, but the commercial side of things is in decline at the moment. The whole 'credit crunch' thing has meant that it works out cheaper for businesses to buy in the equipment and produce their own promotional materials in-house than to contract out. Even companies like ******* are feeling the squeeze.

So the bottom line is this: as a sideline it's great, as something you can do alongside your regular day job it's something I'd heartily recommend. The satisfaction I get from it is immense. But as for a complete change of career, I wouldn't recommend it, as you'd be going up against people far younger than us, who can afford to take lowly paid positions in production houses and work their way up. I know of graduates of mine who have taken positions at 14K and less, in order to get their foot in the door. The established editors can command a fortune if they make it into film and TV, but it's a long road to get there mate!

Default i need to decide....

for my budget(at least for the time) i cosme up with two options.(i wish 2500+ mac book pro was one of them but it's not.)

a) 6 gb ddr2 with ge force 9600 with 512 discreet.

b) 4 gb ddr3 with ge force 9800 with 1 gb (!) ...

can i get some suggestion and feed back please? am i overlooking anything...please some help..

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

^^^ I think you may be overlooking the need to start a new thread for your question