Thread: Converting DvD to HQ

Default Converting DvD to HQ

Hi everyone, I'm stumbled upon these forums via google and figured this would be a good place to start with my question. I was planning to buy a few concert DVDs and I want to put it all on my laptop for the road. How should I go about ripping the DVD onto my laptop and is it possible to convert it to high quality? If so, which programs do I use? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome!
    The files off a DVD are MPEG2 and will be of a particular quality as they are.
    There is no way of improving upon what is already on the DVD, in other words, you can't polish a turd!

The procedure you are looking for or the question to ask is, "How can I import the video off a DVD and maintain the best quality possible?"

I'm glad you asked!

The down and dirty way is to place the DVD in your computer DVD reader. Navigate to the DVD itself and instead of clicking to "Play" the DVD choose to "Open it.
    Inside you will see a folder called VIDEO_TS written exactly as I have written it. Simply drag that across to a folder on your computer. Name that folder with the name of the original DVD.

Now use any playback software you have Like Nero Showtime, WinDVD or a host of other DVD palyback software available. When these programs are opened you choose to open the VIDEO_TS folder and they will begin to play the DVD just as if you had it in the DVD reader.

Clear as mud?

I've done that before but it doesn't work with all dvds for some peculiar reason. there are many free dvd ripping software out there that will do a good job.

That makes it crystal clear, thanks a bunch. I'm going to try it with some of the DVDs I have at home first and see how it goes.

So the quality it comes in is as good as its going to get? Even if I were to rip it as an MKV file or something else... quality cannot get better than it already is? =[

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shortiedragon View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm stumbled upon these forums via google and figured this would be a good place to start with my question. I was planning to buy a few concert DVDs and I want to put it all on my laptop for the road. How should I go about ripping the DVD onto my laptop and is it possible to convert it to high quality? If so, which programs do I use? Thanks in advance.

I found this review: Convert DVD to MKV HD video to keep the high quality

Compare some programs that can convert DVD to HD video (MKV, M2TS, AVI, etc)

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by turtlerck; 02-26-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortiedragon View Post
    That makes it crystal clear, thanks a bunch. I'm going to try it with some of the DVDs I have at home first and see how it goes.

So the quality it comes in is as good as its going to get? Even if I were to rip it as an MKV file or something else... quality cannot get better than it already is? =[
    Nope - lossy compression gets rid of the detail that was there in the original file. You may come across programs that claim to improve it, or try in vain to find the super-duper software that the people in CSI use to find a reflection of secret text in someone's eye in a photo they uploaded to facebook, but it's all a load of rubbish.

Blog Entries

The second law of thermodynamics and th depressing increase in the entropy of the universe means that information cannot be created.

Depsite the spammy link above you CANNOT improve the quality of anything with any software. Well not unless they in the middle of that hadron collider thing.