Thread: D-vhs????

Default D-vhs????

Is there any benefit to going with a digital VHS player when capturing old VHS tapes? My reason being that D-VHS recorders have component outs, which is better than S-VHS and RCA, right? Or am I just trying to polish a turd here.

polishing a turn mate but it depends on your connections, componant is better than s-video which is better than Composite (RCA) which is the same as most scart leads.

Blog Entries

Play a crap analogue vhs tape in that player and it will still be a crap analogue vhs.
    Vhs is so poor that quality gains with component will be irrlevant to my mind.

BUT - D vhs is a killer format if you record with it.

Yeah, I wouldnt worry so much about how a VHS tape turns out but these I dont mind making the extra effort. I got a coulpe of tapes from some buddies of stuff from when we were in the Marines on Okinawa about twenty years ago. I have to return the tapes when Im done, so I want to make sure I get the best copy possible.

Right now Im set up to capture with a S-VHS output through a Canopus 300, but I wasnt sure if I used a D-VCR with Component outputs if it would give me enough of an improvement to make it worth while. If Im hearing you right, it doesnt sound like its worth the bother.

i wouldn't bother.

Twenty year old VHS tapes won't look any better when you run them through a D-VCR, more than likely you will need a timebase corrector to stabilise them, unless that D-VCR has one built into it? Colour correction, fixing the audio*, removing shaky camera work and glitches between cuts can be done in software after you've captured them to your computer.

* depends on the quality of the original audio track.