Thread: General Video Editor/Effects Software

Default General Video Editor/Effects Software

Hey,

First, I looked at Comparison of video editing software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Didn't have the info I wanted)

So, now that, that is out of the way.

I'm beginning and was wondering what a good video editor/effect program was.

Or more specifically, if I was to go out and buy a piece of software to edit videos and add effects, which would I get?

I'd like the normal, basic functions like overlaying sound and moving parts of the video around (that should have been obvious though), and effect wise, something that supports good green screen editing, glow sorta effects, etc.

Good example would be:

That has some of the effects I'd like.

If anyone could help, that would be great. As far as price goes, that isn't that important to me right now, I'm just looking for an idea of what a good program to get this sorta thing done would be.

Oh, and Windows only (Even though there are a lot of editing software that I've heard of for Macs)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by animedude123; 02-25-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animedude123 View Post
    Hey,

First, I looked at Comparison of video editing software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Didn't have the info I wanted)

So, now that, that is out of the way.

I'm beginning and was wondering what a good video editor/effect program was.

Or more specifically, if I was to go out and buy a piece of software to edit videos and add effects, which would I get?

I'd like the normal, basic functions like overlaying sound and moving parts of the video around (that should have been obvious though), and effect wise, something that supports good green screen editing, glow sorta effects, etc.

Good example would be:
    YouTube - iPod Commercial - Disturbia Rihanna

That has some of the effects I'd like.

If anyone could help, that would be great. As far as price goes, that isn't that important to me right now, I'm just looking for an idea of what a good program to get this sorta thing done would be.

Oh, and Windows only (Even though there are a lot of editing software that I've heard of for Macs)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    I've had a good experience with Adobe Premiere Pro. And it is fairly eaisy to get used to.

Is Adobe Premiere Pro good with video editing? Or does it support good effects too like the ones shown in the above vid?

Blog Entries

The only limitation to editing applications such as Adobe Premiere and Vegas is your imagination, creativity and willingness to learn. With the aid of a good book or instructional video, you can pretty much achieve anything you need. It's then up to your imagination to create something using this knowledge. No editing application is ever a substitute for artistic talent or editing fundamentals. Knowing when and what type of cut is a skill rather than something a piece of software can provide.

However, some processes are more suited to certain applications than others. For example compositing is best done outside of the editor. Again, this is something you will learn as you progress. I always recommend that a new starter begin with an easy application and then build on this by upgrading.

So Adobe Premiere Pro would be a good choice to get some effects like in the vid shown above?

What you need to remember though s that editting the video and adding special effects is pretty much two seperate tasks and often as not it;s two (or more) seperate application needed to do that. Think Premier for editgtign and After Effects for adding effects.

However, you can have a damn good stab at a whole bunch of things with just Premiere pro. If you go CS4 rather than any earlier versiosn you now have Photoshopo blend modes making the compositting side of the job a whole lot better imo.

premiere's a good choice. you can do that advert with eaise.

People dancing infront of greenscreen with a blue ipod with blue headphones (same shade, paint them). with a red circle bit (the bit you want white).

key out the white bit on the ipod, make a new composition within that project and insert the other composition and key out the ipod and ear phones. do the same again but key out the greenscreen.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help everyone