Thread: Feel The Burn(2009): Short Comedy Film

Default Feel The Burn(2009): Short Comedy Film

hi guys

here's a short toilet based comedy film we wrote and shot in one afternoon. We used the on the Canon XL2 and edited using Premiere pro.
    Enjoy

P.S. contains some strong language

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post

here's a short toilet based comedy film
    I'm groaning already.

P.S. contains some strong language
    I'm groaning even more, now.

I suppose I'll have to take a look, just in case....
    Tim

haha, well thanks for that review, anyone else?

Blog Entries

OK. Not my humour but you made an effort so worth a crit....

You made an effort. You scripted it, planned the shorts and acted. Credit to you.
    Steady cameras on tripods, shots in focus and adequately composed and so not painfull to watch in that respect.
    There could have been a greater variety of shots - the back and forth between the two main characters becomes a bit hypnotic.
    No excuse for not retaking the fluffed line (just before "oh you need a dump").

The continuity of direction is just plain wrong between the guy outside the bathroom door and the guy in the bathroom. Whilst the door is in the shot in the bathroom, this problem did not manifest itself to me until the guy in the bathroom looked towards it. In case you're not aware of what I'm on about, in the conversation between the two guys, the guy outside the door is looking towards screen left, the guy inside the bathroom should be looking towards/directing his comments towards screen right (and hence te bathroom door should have been screen right). Think of cuts of shots between two people having a telephone conversation in any film - although they may be continents apart, these are nearly always shot as if they are facing each other.

The final criticism was that the colour of the shots for the final scene was totally different fromthe earlier scenes. My guess is because the previous shots were all lit by tungsten light, but the final scenes were against a window where it was not only backlit, but backlit by natural light. Learn to use white balance and exposure controls and if that fails, pay attention to colour balancing in post.

Hope that helps/
    Tim

wow, great post, thanks tim

when filming didn't even consider the direction of characters looking on screen but its so clear and seems so simply now. We did it the way we did so that we could use the mirror for a cheeky over the shouler shot but in future i will take note of your direction

as for white balancing i will bitch at the cameraman as I was acting I was unaware at the time, but thanks anyway

Blog Entries

didn't even consider the direction of characters looking on screen but its so clear and seems so simply now
    That's cos there's lots and lots to learn. A year ago I wouldn't have been aware of it either.

Another lesson would be "don't bitch at the cameraman". You might need him again one day
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Another lesson would be "don't bitch at the cameraman". You might need him again one day
    he's part of my team and a close friend, so bitching is all meant in good humour

8. Default

wow, great post, thanks tim

when filming didn't even consider the direction of characters looking on screen but its so clear and seems so simply now. We did it the way we did so that we could use the mirror for a cheeky over the shouler shot but in future i will take note of your direction

as for white balancing i will bitch at the cameraman as I was acting I was unaware at the time, but thanks anyway
    Another little thing I noticed, aside from the guy in the bathroom looking to the left and the guy outside the bathroom looking to the left, would be that the guy's shaving cream disappears. He is in the bathroom with his shaving cream on and then when he opens the door to talk to the other person his shaving cream is off.

Just something little I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting_rubber View Post
    Another little thing I noticed, aside from the guy in the bathroom looking to the left and the guy outside the bathroom looking to the left, would be that the guy's shaving cream disappears. He is in the bathroom with his shaving cream on and then when he opens the door to talk to the other person his shaving cream is off.

Just something little I noticed.

haha you're the second person to mention that. I must be really shite to miss something like that unless I did it on purpose which I did. lol

I wrote it in as something so blatenly obvious that it would be funny, but if you didnt get it maybe not

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shooting_rubber View Post
    the guy's shaving cream disappears.
    Dammit, I meant to mention that
    Tim