Thread: compression software

Default compression software

hiya
    i'm new to the forum and was wondering what is the best software(and easist to use) for compressing mpeg and avi(i have a couple of films i want to put on to one disc as a dvd bust dont want to use a 8 gig disc, i have tried to use virtual dub but seem to take ages and want something a little easier
    thanx in advance

Are you wanting to put a couple of films on one DVD that can actually be played in a regular DVD player, or just to store the mpg/avi files on a DVDR to play on a computer?

i'm hoping to put more than one film , as i have a few trilogys i want to do

Yeah, but do you want them to play in a regular DVD player, or just have them as files you can play on a computer?

If you do, you can reduce the bitrate, but reducing the bitrate too much will make it look like you're watching youtube :-/

Have a look here: Bitrate Calculator

And it will work out the bitrate for you.

Depending on your DVD authoring software though, it may not allow you to go below a certain bitrate.

As a guide, using 'Super Long Play' mode in Nero Express will allow you to fit 6 hours on one 4.5GB DVDR. That uses 1,691 kbit/sec and will half the resolution.

yeah i want to decode them onto 1 disc so i can play on any normal dvd player , ,sorry to go on but i can decode the films no problem, but this is a bit new to me
    thanx

In that case, I recommend Nero. It's dead easy, just drag and drop the movies in the order you want them to appear on the disc. There's even menu templates available so you don't have to do much work at all!