Thread: record everything from tape

Default record everything from tape

I have Premiere Pro CS4 open and I am trying to capture everything from the tape into my project. I click File > Capture and the capture window opens up. I click the record button and then hit play, it records and then just suddenly stops. It doesn't finish recording everything. I try hitting play again to keep on recording but it doesn't do anything. I just want to have everything on the tape into my project, how do I do this? thanks.

Blog Entries

Just to check - sorry if sounds numpty - are you using fire wire ?

Yes I'm using fire wire.

Does it say anything about the audio data rate being changed and cannot continue. That happened to me recently where I did one recording using 12bit audio and some more in 16bit and APPro threw a wobbler. I just stopped, made a new project and continued on.

I find that error an fairly useful because of my lazyness. what i do it record about 5 seconds of nothing with a different audio rate and then instead of checking to see how far into the tape i am it will stop once it gets to that bit. i know i can use the in-out settings in the capture window but i prefer to be safe than sorry.

No that's not it. I have a camera hooker up to my PC and I am trying to get everything that I captured onto the mini DV cassette into my project on premiere pro. I hit play and hit record to capture it. It stops recording every time I stopped the camera while filming/ starting another shot. So it's just recording separate clips into my project. It's hard to navigate while capturing - there is no timeline, and I when I hit play to go to the next shot/ record another clip - nothing happens. Right now, the capture window is just a black screen - I hit play, still nothing. Is it so hard to just get everything from that mini DV cassette into my project, even if it's not cut up into seperate clips. Is there another way I can extract the footage from my mini DV onto my computer and then just import the files into my project? thanks.

Blog Entries

Do you have scene detection enabled? This is an option at the bottom of the logging tab within the capture window.

I like scenalyzer for capturing DV it is so much less hassle than running Premiere, I think it's about US$34, you can download a trail but it puts on logo until you purchase it.
    Scenalyzer LIVE home page

Or try WinDV1.2.3 as far as I can remember it is freeware and should be available from most download sites. It will allow you to capture from tape in a very stripped down interface so there isn't a lot that can go wrong during the process.

i believe windows movie maker is able to capture decent quality video.