Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My sheep shearing video

Default My sheep shearing video

Check it out if you want to know what real work is.
    My second take with Vegas.
    Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

Loved it.
    Didn't promise anything other than what it was and it fulfilled that promise well. It's not going to win any awards but it tells a simple story well.

Sometimes we forget a film doesn't need any deep purpose or to carry a message.

I wondered whether we should have seen the shearers face before/after or even during the process, but actually I think it worked very well keeping the focus entirely on the sheep.

And I couldn't get over how unphased the sheep was by the whole process. Was she drugged or had she had many years experiene?
    Tim

Tim
    thanks
    I just set the camera up that way and it was too close I guess
    wide angle lens in the future may fix

The sheep was not drugged
    You can drug the big "rams" so you do not get hurt, but not the smaller ones
    They were Dorset lambs which 90% of the time kick the s@#t out of you
    Its a skill to keep the sheep moving with your feet under it at all times

Not out to win awards, just own use for now
    Maybe use it underwater to make dvds for people in years to come
    cheers

Impressive.

Now I am doing sums in my head how many sheep are done is a hour, day, week.

My back is now hurting very much on that thought, to be honest I have seen plenty of videos about sheep being clipped but never shown is such a straight forward way.

Is that Oz or NZ, looks like Oz clothing to me; if it was NZ the lambs are better off on the dinner plate, thay have stunning tasting lamb there.

I don't use vegas so I can't comment there.

I believe in its simpe approach its well worth some stars....anyone..!

This video is a cut above the rest.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

It was in Oz.
    Have not been to NZ for a year now and do not plan to shear there again (low $ per sheep)
    It depends on where you shear, what the sheep are like and how keen/mad/crazy you are.
    In oz I used to shear 200+ 90% of the time, in NZ you had to shear 240-400 to make any money, and in the UK you could shear 300 no probs and good $.
    Getting into comm diving soon so dont work so hard anymore.
    Dont know about "a cut above the rest" but I will take it.
    cheers

I think I'm going to be controversial here but as well shot as the film is, it's one continuous shot of sheep being sheered, set to music (say the last bit fast 5 times!!!). Sorry but how does this constitute a 5 star rating. I think we need a recalibration of the rating system.

I have to agree with mhh, it's one long shot of a sheep being sheared, it needs more visual variety, it could have told the story of a day in the life of someone who works in that industry. I think the 5 stars is going overboard.

Blog Entries

I'll third that notion. I've really learned nothing about the job, the person etc.

If we assume that you're not attempting to create a documentary, just demonstrate the process of sheep sheering, I'd still say you missed the mark. A long roll doesn't really grab the viewers attention, and even in a short, to the point demonstration, there's the need to unravel a story. We need to see the sheerers face, close ups on the details, longer shots of more than one sheerer, close ups of the 'wool'. There's also a few details you could have added. Why not, for example, add a timer to demonstrate the time taken? Or a voice over descriving the process.

I think this is a good example of how a video could have been transformed by camera technique and editing. Sure, it's a video, but it's the base form of video which, in my opinion, needs something adding to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    Sorry but how does this constitute a 5 star rating. I think we need a recalibration of the rating system.
    One person posted a 5 star rating for the thread.

Must have been that naughty 'rollingstock' character, as Marc could see he basically never gives starts out.

So why here?

It warrants some investigation and maybe a banning on the boards; and well have to fix the rating system.

Guys sometimes the best cuts are made on screen.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast