Thread: Cooling for external hard drive?

Default Cooling for external hard drive?

Iím using a LaCie 250GB external drive (firewire) for my video work,complete with nice alu case. Not particularly new or flash you understand but we had a couple lying around work so I thought I try them.

When its been in use for a while it felt warm, though not hot, however it stopped working on several occasions, and only started again after it had been left a while, which sort of suggested that it was getting too hot.

I was working with it laying flat on a wooden desk top, which I guess could have been insulating it a bit (I wouldn't feel that it was safe if stood on itís side).

I know you can get coolers (e.g. Silverstone SST-FP53S Hard Disk Cooler Silver for all 3.5" HDD - Scan.co.uk ) but not sure if it will fit over an existing case, or how to power them (USB?)

Does anyone know any simpler, quick fixes? How about if I Araldite a lump of scrap metal to the case?! (That last point is slightly tongue in cheek, but grateful for any experience shared...)

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Its bust - that shouldnt happen - drive cooling is a con for the gadget freaks.

Blog Entries

Perhaps I should add i speak from expirience.
    I have use PCs and stuff lots and have only had one hard drive in a PC fail ever - and that was a PC my then girl friend karate kicked cos she found something she didnt like.... lols.

All my drives in my PC have temp sensors and they have never set off a too hot alarm. \i suspect drive coolers really are silly and pointless.

I've used hard drive coolers in the past i cant really say that you will benifit very much from using them. if you have 5+ hard drives then you'll need them but it'd be unlikely that you'll have room to install one so you'd fit a big ass 120mm fan anyway. so i reccomend you get a new external hard drive and not get any hard drive fans.

You could take the drive out of the casing, fix it to some kind of chassis, maybe by cutting down the casing from an old PC (but leaving the cooling fan if any intact), and fix the drive near the cooling fan.
    It might look like one of those airboats that they use to cruise the Florida waterways, but it will make you stand out as an individual...

Like Smifis says, the only time you'll benefit from using a HDD cooler is if you've got loads of drives in a single case.

There's also another situation - if you're using 10,000 or 15,000 RPM drives. In fact, I think you invalidate most manufacturers' warranties if you use a 15,000RPM drive without a sufficient cooling solution.

However, you won't be using anything faster than a 7,200 RPM drive in a USB or Firewire drive, and the enclosure will be designed so that the cooling should be sufficient anyway.

OK, thanks for all the info folks. I get the message! I appreciate your help.

Default I just bought a small desk fan.

I've got a cable modem and a 1Tb external hard drive sitting between two desktop tower computers. They both run hot. The hard drive got especially hot today when it was formatted and then copied about 160 gig of video files. I was concerned, even though it's supposed to be made of the right metal to cool without a fan and all that. So, I pointed a desk fan at the drive from about three feet away and it cooled the drive down. I've ordered a smaller 5 inch desk fan for 10 dollars that I'm going to put between my desktop towers to cool my external drive and my cable modem.

I did a bit of research and found that others are using cheap desk fans to cool their electronics.