Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching a Train

1. Smile Catching a Train

Righty then, here's a video I made.

I know that this forum section is for constructive criticism but I'm submitting it here more as a video to introduce myself (seeing as I only joined this place the other day).

It's not that I can't take criticism, it's more that this video isn't supposed to be ground-breakingly perfect in its delivery and structure and shots. Therefore there are some pointers I'd like to say about it...

1) I made it 4 years ago.

2) I didn't make it to be an example of video excellence, it was more to just show people some of the stuff I got up to when I went over to NY State in 2005.

3) It's more of a montage rather than a structured production. Though the first half kind of has some order to it you can appreciate that I didn't have a clue what I would be shooting until I was over there so it's not like I could make a storyboard beforehand. It was literally point and shoot.

4) I filmed it on a Sony HandiCam that I bought in 2001 which weighed as much as my left leg. I look at that camera now and still can't believe I've lugged it around the world with me!

5) Because I can't link to the YouTube version of this video (after 40,000 views they disabled the sound because I'm not the Chilli Peppers' record producer) I have had to link to the 42MB file on my website. My hosts give me a lot of bandwidth so hopefully having this hotlinked on a popular forum won't rape my hosting account too badly.

6) The guy I rode with was an ex-con I met on the Internet. I'm not kidding! Sometimes you just have to take a chance :P

7) Feel free to tell me how stupid/crazy/idiotic/childish I am for doing this but realise that it's been said 4563563456 times already by some very angry train spotters. It will therefore fall on deaf ears because I know that no one came to any harm from the making of this video and the only person ever in any danger was myself.

8 ) My site documents all the best feedback because some of it is priceless! (I've also had plenty of good feedback to balance it out).

Enjoy!

Hobo Living by Brave Dave

Blog Entries

T'rrific - loved it. And.... I want a go at that - it looks fun!

Welcome to the boards.

And that does look like a lot of fun ... minus the whole lack of shower thing ...

Hello Video Dave.

1. A stunning video montage, I found myself on the edge of my seat watching the life of a train hobo. As an introductory video to these forums itís the best I have seen.

2. Surely this has a commercial value, have you tried finding interested buyers of this video?

3. I believe you are very wise to build up interest in a website, that in turn can feed interest to whatever else you have cooking.

4. How does a train video hobo charge his batteries on his camera if he is living the life on the tracks well away from a convent power supply?

5. Great editing, suited the edgy lifestyle just the right mix of faces, trains and places.

6. 5 HUGE stars, great example of Content is King

7. I do know literally hundreds of trainspotters and train lovers who would really dig this video.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Really nice to see it has the 5 star treatment, I hope it gets a look in at VOTM.

Blog Entries

Stop making excuses. It's a great video!

I pretty much agree with what's been said before and would like to add that much of the charm of this film comes from your presenting skills (in front of camera). Getting the personal aspect into a film is SO important.

For some reason I warmed to you from the start. You just came across as a friendly person. Furthermore you spoke, clearly and eloquently and sounded (at the risk of sounding snobbish myself) "educated" - quite in contrast to what I would have expected from a film about and narrated by a "railway hobo" - and this was all to the benefit of the film.
    Tim

7. Default

Cheers guys! Glad you enjoyed it

Andy, it IS fun! Well, some of it. You must understand that for every hour of sitting on a freight train there are 10 hours of sitting in a bush, waiting. Oh and also you really don't want to get caught. I only wish I had been able to film our escape from Selkirk Yard but funnily enough, when you're in a yard about 3 miles long, it's 4am, the place is lit up with 100 search lights and you have security driving and walking around checking the trains you don't feel like getting out a massive Sony HandiCam to try and film it all :P

Ardaric, yeah, it can get a bit grimey. However, we washed everytime we were in civilisation (and put all our clothes through a laundrette), even if it was just in a diner bathroom. We also washed in a river one time and it's pretty easy to wash with a flannel and economic use of your drinking water! Not being able to shave was the biggest annoyance though. My beard was itching like hell after a while.

RollingStock, I can tell by your name you're a train fan I wouldn't say the video has commercial value mainly because what we're doing is technically illegal :P However, it does have big entertainment value and seems to be one of those videos on which everyone has an opinion, whether they love it or hate it. As for my batteries, well, I should get paid by Sony to advertise their big fat Infolithium batteries because the one I had didn't need charging once for the whole 10 day trip. Although if it had run down then I could have charged it in a bar or some place when we passed through towns and places. You're right about 100s of trainspotters out there digging my video. I know this because most of them have emailed me already :P As have 100s of not so happy people. But hey, it makes for entertaining reading I guess.

Tim, thanks! And yes, I am friendly and I like to think that I am indeed educated And just in case it wasn't obvious already, I'm not a hobo, I'm just a guy who wanted to try out this thing they call "freight hopping". I didn't even know what a Hobo was until I decided to do it.

For the record I plan on doing it again this Summer but this time across Canada and with a couple of people I met online who contacted me after seeing Hobo Living. Of course, THIS time around I'll be going with making a kickass video in mind, plus I'll have a lightweight camera so filming/everything will be much easier. Should be a good one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Video Dave View Post
    And just in case it wasn't obvious already, I'm not a hobo,
    Don't worry, it was!
    Tim

I wouldn't say the video has commercial value mainly because what we're doing is technically illegal :P However, it does have big entertainment value and seems to be one of those videos on which everyone has an opinion
    Video Dave, fantastic reply to all of us who commented on this rail feast.

I am actually not into trains at all, I'm a video guy and I will leave it at that no need to spam my forum name anymore...!

If I was a producer and saw this content I would be rubbing my hands together, I believe it has a commercial value, even if it is fringe activity; that stuff commands huge audiences and thatís a known fact.

Itís the sort of video which leaves scenes stamped in your brain; feet over rails, hand on spinning wheels, wagons without bottoms; I wake up with these images every day now.

Again a impressive video would love to see it developed into a tight doco.

10. Default

Haha, sorry man, I thought rolling stock was referring to freights :P

I hope that you're right about the producer thing. Like I said, the next time around I will be specifically doing it to make a video. Though I don't think I'll be aiming to make a piece of art or a deep, thought-provoking commentary on life... more likely just make an exciting summary of an adventure had on the rails.

And I'm glad you appreciated some of the shots. The car without a floor is good attention-grabber. The funny thing is we climbed onto that train at full running speed in the pitch black and I very nearly jumped into the well without realising there was no floor. Could have been a quick and messy end for me! Fortunately not though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast