Thread: DVD ReWriter Recommendations?

Blog Entries

Default DVD ReWriter Recommendations?

I'm getting an increasing number of duff DVDs produced from DVDA 5.0. My RWs never seem to work for more than a few minutes - these are a few years old but I have the problem even with old but previously unused ones.
    Not much of a problem given the price of -/+Rs but they're now giving me grief (Verbatim +R and Ritek +R) not every time but maybe 50%.

Funnily enough this appears to be only when writing using DVDA and seems to have only become so bad since version 5. I don't recall any problems on the same computer using DVDA 4.0 or 4.5.

The few I've produced so far using Nero seem fine (not enough to draw a conclusion as yet).

But I can't find a way of getting Nero (bundled version) to simply take the DVD structure created by DVDA and burn it - it always wants to create its own folder/structure and this takes time - especially as if you want to burn a second copy it wants to do it all over again.

Anyway - much simpler if I just burn from DVDA. I've read that some people have had similar experiences so my question (at last) is:

Who has (virtually) 100% success burning from DVDA and what make/model DVD RW drive do you recommend? Currently using PATA, but have spare SATA port if necessary.
    Tim

To answer your question, Verbs. I do a lot of testing with Verbs RWs on a Pioneer 112D. I did have it replaced at Pioneer's cost as there was a fault on these, but only on CD burning.

However, how old is your writer itself?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    To answer your question, Verbs. I do a lot of testing with Verbs RWs on a Pioneer 112D. I did have it replaced at Pioneer's cost as there was a fault on these, but only on CD burning.

However, how old is your writer itself?
    I think you misread, Grazie. I was after the make & model of the REWRITER (which you've also given - so you've answered the question, so thanks for that).

My rewriter was new Feb 2007. It's a Samsung SH-S182M for what it's worth. I don't use it extensively, but it doesn't owe me anything. Hence I'm happy to replace, but even happier to take advice or hear experiences. I'll take reliability over price and speed.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think you misread, Grazie.
    Nope. I was attempting to offer you support through my own experience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Nope. I was attempting to offer you support through my own experience.
    Thanks. I had another blip on a video today - this one was burned using Nero, so I'm definitely looking to replace the drive.
    Anyone else with any recommendations?
    Tim

are all background service (that are not required) closed, screen saver off.

I used to use Pioneer burner (a104 & a105)and never had any problems, even with then new one that came with the system (not sure of model) not had any problems with that either

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    are all background service (that are not required) closed, screen saver off.
    Hmmm...probably not - I don't touch the PC whist burning, but stuff like anti-virus is still running, but this is no different from before.

However, I'm surprised if this would have any effect - it's not the Preparation that's the actual burn (as I'll get problems in different places on different DVDs burned from the same previously prepared folder). I would have thought that the buffering bult into the system/DVD rewriter would cope with this - maybe I'm wrong.

I'll be squeaky clean on my next burn and see if there's any improvement.
    Tim