Thread: After Effects book

1. Default After Effects book

I am trying to learn After Effects on my own and am looking for the best book to help me through it.

I want to use it for graphics effects and text animation mostly and have a little experience using it, so a beginners book would be a little redundant.

I have been looking for a little and found so many choices, I figured I'd come here and ask for some advice before I actually buy.

So any suggestions? Is there even a better option than using a book to learn the program?

Thanks.

For learning AE everyone should have
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creating-Motion-Graphics-After-Effects/dp/0240810104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235121071&sr=8-1]Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects: Essential and Advanced Techniques DV Expert : Essential and Advanced Techniques DV Expert Series: Amazon.co.uk: Trish Meyer: Books[/ame]

If you want to learn how to get more out of AE then you should read
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effects-Visual-Compositing-Studio-Techniques/dp/0321592018/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235121147&sr=1-2]Adobe After Effects CS4 Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques: Mark Christiansen: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

Alternatively you would do very well to watch all video podcasts/tutorials over at both the Creative cow and at video copilot. Better still, buy the DVDs they offer.

However though, andI'm sure I do not need to say this but will for completeness, none of the above is an excsue to putting the hours in. No matter what your source, you will ONLY EVER learn it from practicing - and it WILL take longer than a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by StHapns247 View Post
    Is there even a better option than using a book to learn the program?
    Depends on if you learn better from online tutorials or books I guess.
    Creative Cow and Video Copilot have some great After Effects tutorials for free, Lynda.com also has great tutorials but they are not free (but there is a free trial).
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Engels View Post
    Depends on if you learn better from online tutorials or books I guess.
    Doesn't matter! They are very different things and I do not beleive they should be mixed up. Both rightly have their place and you should have both if you take the job seriously.

Books tend to discuss principals and give you understanding. Online tutorials (and you quoted the best ones in my opinion) tend to be for quite specific things.

The only time I would compare the two is fro Scott kelby's excellent Photoshop Down and Dirty tricks books where each chapter is effectively a written tutorial or recipe to follow.

Just my 2p... Alan

A few other books are:
    After effects classroom in a book .. (also comes with a dvd to follow along with the projects)
    After effects Studio Tchniques.. (comes w/ dvd as well )
    both of those are from adobe press
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction