Thread: Recording Audio Separately from Video

1. Default Recording Audio Separately from Video

Hey man I need some quick help. Lately i been doing alot of videography and I wanted to know what is the best way to dub voices over. For example I recorded a quick promo video for my sister for her photography company, the audio coming out of the camera was just terrible. my fear is that if i do have her hold a mic or have another mic recording her audio to a seperate source, the video and audio wont link up properly. I hope you get what im asking here... whats the best way for me to improve my audio when i am recording weddings or simple commercials, or even a cooking show (which im goin to be startin workin on soon)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Blog Entries

You basically have two options.
    1. Use an external mic which plugs into your camera. Obvoiously you need a cam with a mic input. But no problem with syncing sound.
    2. Use other recordings (eg mini disc, digital field recorder) and then sync using the "waveform" on your audio timeline. This requires you have an editor which shows the waveform. Sync the "good" audio wuith the poor quality camera audio, then delete (or reduce volume) the camera audio.

A couple of hints if you use the latter.
    a) every now and then give a sharp clap - this will give a sharp peak in the waveform and make it easier to sync
    b) the timing will drift, so split the audio and resysnc every now and then.

The actual process of getting good audio is worthy of a book or two in itself, but but one simple rule trumps virtually all others - get the mic as close to the source as possible. A cheap mic close up will produce much better results than a very expensive mic the other side of the room.

Hope this helps
    Tim

As far as dubbing voices over, do that in post production in a nice padded room with the video playing on a monitor and your V/O person talking into a good quality mic.

4. Default

hey thanks for the tips, i have an old mic lying around im goin to test how that works out for me, me and my sister are goin to do a cooking show so i needed the audio to come out clean, i was thinking of hanging a mic from roof (almost like a boom mic) and it connected to my laptop recordin the audio

i guess i didnt really read any other posts here about beginner shotgun mics and stuff so im gion to do that but if anyone can throw me any other tips it'd be greatly appreciated

Better to place the mic as near as possible to the person who is talking, like on the table or use a tie clip instead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    As far as dubbing voices over...
    Ahhhh. I missed the word "dub" in the original post. Thanks to Nikosony and apologies to Blackout.
    Tim