Thread: Sound recording disaster

Default Sound recording disaster

Have been using talent to record green screen intros interviews for a short while, use a Panasonic DVCPro, shure mixer, boom and sennheiser tie mics. Never encountered this problem before. Sound check was fine, levels were fine, sounded good through the cans, no problem.

Come to capture, and the sound is distorted with a metal like effect reverberating across the speech.

I used a tape that already had recording on it, although the section we recorded to was blank, the original recording still sounds fine on capture playback. Have tried on Final Cut and AVID using two different Panasonic decks, same result.

Anybody have any ideas why god hath forsaken me?

Blog Entries

It's cos god is an illusion, an invention of our psyche to replace the all giving all loving mothers of our formative years.

Burning churhes may help with your capture.

Beyond that I can offer no helpful advice. These rnadom faluts are the curse of the film maker - is the camera working ok now ? Have you tried a catpure from / to different devices ?

Nah, he lives down the road, drinks bushmills with coke down my local (I told him it's better without)

Camera seems fine, I will need to do more tests, i.e just boom/just tie-mic/new batteries etc. but it has in the words of The Queen Mum, "Done my nut in!", surely if the levels are fine on the camera during recording and the sound is good through the cans there shouldn't be a problem, what would Chritian Bale have said if in the edit they have to change his persona to that of a righteous metal mickey to suit the sound recording???

Blog Entries

I often do things badly - no cheks and stuff - no probs.

It is very annoying when it all goes horribly wrong and you have done the right thing. I want a camera that records to tape, dockable drive, and sd cards - at the same time - lols.

You may need to go through your entire setup and start eliminating every piece of equipment, cable and connector to rule it in or out. I know it's a pain in the hole but if the audio recordings are important to you then it may be your only solution.

Blog Entries

It sounds like it could be:

(a) a phasing problem two microphones on the same track interfering with each other.
    (b) Recording in 12 bit (32khz) instead of 16 bit 48khz
    (c) or the wrong mic recording.

Personally I would put my money on you having changed the camcorder to 12 bit recording without noticing it.

I'd go with the Guru's logic too. An operator brought a camera to me this week that was dicky on the sound - yep! - 12 bit.
    I don't know how long he's been using it like that, but panasonic wanted 600 to diagnose and fix it. Job done!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    panasonic wanted 600 to diagnose and fix it. Job done!
    I trust you only charged 300
    Tim

You see this is what amazes me. There's Panasonic looking for 600 smackers to diagnose and fix a fault and they have no problem asking for that amount, whether you pay it or not is another matter. Then when you quote a client a four or five figure sum for two weeks work they look at you and think you are a looney. What is it that Panasonic has that the rest of us don't, bigger balls, a bigger brass neck? I hope you sent them off with a flea in their ear.

They go to Panasonic when they've a problem. They come to me when they're . . . desperate

No charge, just get to feel smug . . . and stupid, as I could have sold him another camera to replace the 'not worth repairing at that price'
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club