Thread: DV files, read by both Mac and PC ?

Default DV files, read by both Mac and PC ?

I am having old 8mm film converted to digital here by a pro. This guy uses Mac equipment on the data side for giving me DV files for future editing. When I go to my friends shop (PC based shop) will he be able to read the DV files on the ext hard drive that the 1st guy gave me from his Mac shop? Are DV files able to be read by both, or are they somehow "source" system specific?
    F

Quote Originally Posted by frd1952 View Post
    I am having old 8mm film converted to digital here by a pro. This guy uses Mac equipment on the data side for giving me DV files for future editing. When I go to my friends shop (PC based shop) will he be able to read the DV files on the ext hard drive that the 1st guy gave me from his Mac shop? Are DV files able to be read by both, or are they somehow "source" system specific?
    F
    As long as they're standard format DV files, you should be able to import it into a video editor, but what you may need to watch out for is to make sure that the hard drive the video is stored on is formatted to FAT32 or NTFS, and not the Mac OS file system, otherwise the windows PC won't be able to read it (unless they have bought Mac OS file system reading software)