Thread: Which software for 640 x 480 beginner?

Default Which software for 640 x 480 beginner?

Hi everyone, I've used windows movie maker a few times, other than that I'm a novice.

I need your help to choose a suitable program for editing some simple movies.

Purpose - mostly to go on youtube to showcase my jazz band

Video data - 640 x 480 avi files from two or three canon digital cameras

Audio - I'll merge my own wav files from direct line / field recording. I won't be using any of the canons' audio.

So we're not talking HD here! I need a package that will:
    a) make it easy to sync my clips. since i'm working with multiple cameras, i want to align the clips first, and then choose bits from each camera without worrying about getting the timings to match up

b) because I'll be using the cameras fixed on tripods, I'll need some kind of video effect where it slowly zooms and pans on the video clip. What is this called? I guess it's the same thing as you'd do with turning static photographs into a movie. Which programs will easily let me use this technique?

c) if it's easy to do, i could point one camera at the pianist, one at the drummer, one at the bass player. Then merge these into a kind of mosaic where you can see each guy's face, with the three elements nicely blended together. Is this standard feature on premiere elements etc, or do i need a more heavyweight package?

I have a decent t7200 core duo, but since I won't be dealing with anything greater than 640 x 480 I'm not too worried about maxing out my specs.

If someone can tell me which package can do the above, and is easy to use, i'd be grateful thanks

Hi I'd go for Corel Video Studio Pro X2, it has an default setting for "You Tube" but if you ever need to go up to high definition AVCHD 1920x1080 it handles that very well so you won't have to upgrade your program. I've always used expensive programs before so was pleasantly surprised at how much I can do with a program that was only US$100 against some that I tested between US$550 and US$800, I'd download all the trial versions you can find before you buy.