Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on the Sony HVR-V1E?

1. Thumbs up Any opinions on the Sony HVR-V1E?

Hello again I thought I'd start a new thread rather than carry on in the other one because the topic has changed slightly...

In my last thread, asking about the best retailer from which to buy a DSR PD-170 Mark suggested that I should instead consider getting a Z1! So, JUST as I thought I knew what I wanted I began researching a whole new camera :P

Four hours later and I have learnt that the Z1 is the pro version of the FX1 and that both are seen as modern PD170s. Cool! I've also learnt that at 3700 the Z1 is out of my reach for the moment which is a shame.

HOWEVER, it's not all bad news because I've also stumbled across the Sony HVR V1E! I've just read a load of reviews about it and everyone seems to be loving this camera.

This review is particularly in-depth:
    DVuser: SONY HVR-V1E Progressive-Scan HDV Camcorder

In that review the guy is constantly comparing the V1 to the Z1 saying how its picture quality is as good as the Z1!

The V1E is going for 2760 from CreativeVideo.co.uk and I'm thinking that it would be perfect for me.

So before I go ahead and buy it I wanted to run it past you guys to see if anyone has anything interesting or relevant or "NO DAVE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT!!!" to say about it.

Anyone? Have I FINALLY found a prosumer camera that is great quality and within the 2500 price range??! Pleeeease say yes.

Blog Entries

I havent used that camera but I have edit stuff from that and the z1 and to my eye it produces similar video.

Shooting p or i is a nice choice to have - but dont think progressive is better than interalced - it isnt - in spite of the shit you read on the net - it ISNT like film.

I think that cam can also shoot in bursts of lower res at 300 fps for cool slo mo tricks.

It can also shoot and play in DV and DVCAM, and it has XLRs - proper job really. I would seroiusly think about this camera if i was a rich dude after a small camera.

3. Default

Hah, well, I'm not a rich dude (the idea is that this loan-bought camera will help me become rich :P) but I guess I am after quite a small camera. Actually, size isn't really the issue here as I want a primary camera for more professional work i.e. situations where I have time to set up a shot rather than running and jumping around.

So picture quality is top priority, widescreen resolution, XLR inputs and HD video are all up there too. And as far as I can see the V1 has them all! And yes, I will admit, the slow motion function sounds like a lot of fun

I don't know much about interlaced and progressive though. I mean I know what they are but I couldn't tell you the differences in quality. Still, if the V1 has the option to shoot as both then there's no issues there!

I think I'll buy this camera tomorrow then but if anyone else wants to say something about it then please do.

Blog Entries

Check the perf in low light - HDV cameras are often poor in low light as fewer photons hit the smaller pixels.

I cant recall how the V1 performs - my advice is check / ask about or get on approval.

I'm not a rich dude (the idea is that this loan-bought camera will help me become rich :P)... better buy a balaclava and a shooter and start robbing banks if you want to get rich quickly.

6. Default

Oh I did that already. But it's really not worth the hassle. The robbery turned messy and I had to execute 14 people so as to not leave any witnesses.

Hence why I'm now looking to make money through video production!

Blog Entries

I can see that face behind a shooter. BTW are you 2 people who look the same ?

hey - I use the HRV 1E in work all the time and its swell, has xlr inputs for conecting a gud mic, excellent wee controlls for making the mic more directional and for cutting out windy scottish cities from your film etc..

the smooth slow record is a handy trick to have also - you get a choice of recording in 3, 6 and 12 second bursts - but only the 3 second mode is usable in a serious film that you are making as the quality deteriorates significantly.

I always shoot in HD and use the ilink conversion when capturing and the quality picture shines through.

its not as robust as the Z1E,PD170 etc - it feels quite fragile compared to those, dont drop it.

M.

9. Default

Haha, thanks melville. Damn it, I was hoping to duct tape my V1E to a football for an interesting POV during a match but now you've told me it's quite delicate. Back to the drawing boards :(

Ho ho. I jest. Well I think I will buy the V1E tomorrow morning then! Thanks everyone for your feedback

PS: Mark, I am actually three people who look the same. The third guy was taking the pic!

Blog Entries

^^^ lols.

Since I have your attention - indulge me - I posted a resoloution test thread - maybe you would like to have a go - new camera fiddling and all that.

Or ask one of the other two of you to try maybe.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...t-have-go.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast