Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "In the beginning..."

Default "In the beginning..."

I few weeks ago I began working on an experimental documentary on the Ruin-Reconstruction theory of Bible Creationism. Although some here may find the "C" word subject matter disturbing, I would appreciate some objective and professional feedback on the production quality.

The opening segment required that I use available copyright free stock footage. The balance of the clip sections required me to build my own visual effects using layering and compositing upon available stock to construct the necessary visual images.

The work was done in Vegas Pro 8 using WMV9 HD as the timeline and rendering preference. The music track is temporary for editing purposes (the movie will be custom scored, when completed). The clip runs 07:50. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

In the beginning...@@AMEPARAM@@player.setPostsId(1733877) ;player.setUsersId(132695);player.setUsersLogin("g rjohnson")@@AMEPARAM@@1733877@@AMEPARAM@@grjohnson

Blog Entries

I'm not a pro (but that won't stop me commenting!).

If the constraints referred to are not of your own making - so be it.
    I found the "deep booming voice" doing the biblical quotes and such quite acceptable but I thought the "explaining" voice was too similar - thus the attempts at explanation sounded just like more biblical passages. More contrast required.

This is where it would really be useful to cut to a real person, talking to camera, perhaps holding a football or other common or garden props to help explain the discussion. I'm thinking here of the numerous documentaries we've had recently in the UK about formation of the universe, the earth, geology, weather etc. with either "celebs" with a supposed scientific interest (Tony Robinson) or scientists with a pretty face and common touch (Brian Cox). You know the sort of thing, they're normally filmed in a wilderness crouched down talking to camera whilst scraping up a handfull of soil.

Anyway, if that's out of the question, I think you need to take every opportunity to reinforce what's being said with the video. One simple example comes to mind - the explanation of the firmament and the waters above and below was accompanied by a nice diagram. Animate it so that as you refer to each item it is briefly highlighted (just give it a glow or a brief zoom or something)

I think that the problem is whilst the subject might be increadibly exciting (firmaments, light, dark etc) talking about it is, unfortunately very dry.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Anyway, if that's out of the question, I think you need to take every opportunity to reinforce what's being said with the video. One simple example comes to mind - the explanation of the firmament and the waters above and below was accompanied by a nice diagram. Animate it so that as you refer to each item it is briefly highlighted (just give it a glow or a brief zoom or something)

I think that the problem is whilst the subject might be increadibly exciting (firmaments, light, dark etc) talking about it is, unfortunately very dry.
    Excellent suggestion on animating that graphic. I will do that. On the "unfortunately very dry" observation I must agree. I have tried to avoid that syndrome, but it is difficult. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Blog Entries

As a lifelong rationalist and ati theist I am predicatably amused by the contant - all straw grasping desperate mumbo jumbo.

As for the construction of the video - I like. The god voice is good - is that you ?

Nice graphix and pics.

I think this is good propoganda for the converted but as a proseltysing piece I dont think it will win over any of the heathen hoardes

Impressive piece, I had to do some google work on gap theory, to be honest it is the first I had heard of it.

Without taking sides here..

Its set out at a nice pace, more suited towards maybe a older audience, it has a great voice over, it was like God talking.
    It did remind me of the old TV series Cosmos based on writings by Carl Sagan, who also narated and appeared in the series, he often would have real world examples of his thoughts on 'star stuff'.

Now I brought up the TV show Cosmos as it has what your video is lacking, you need a person there who has the same presence that your voice over guy has. If you don't it starts to remind me of the many conspiracy theory videos around which are basically driven by a comanding voice over and strung together bits of video fact of fiction.

Having a real person there would make a huge difference to audience attitudes, I think Tim has mentioned this as well.

A persons face has a huge effect in delivering a message.

Overall its a grand effort on a HUGE subject, good luck with it.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    As a lifelong rationalist and ati theist I am predicatably amused by the contant - all straw grasping desperate mumbo jumbo.

As for the construction of the video - I like. The god voice is good - is that you ?

Nice graphix and pics.

I think this is good propoganda for the converted but as a proseltysing piece I dont think it will win over any of the heathen hoardes
    The voice of the Scripture narrator is a professional radio announcer who lives in Savannah, GA. I am doing the main narrator voice (a former professional radio announcer).

You are very astute. This is not designed as a proseltysing piece to win over the heathen hoardes. It is designed as a counter argument against the doctrine of "Young Earth" neo-creationism.

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Now I brought up the TV show Cosmos as it has what your video is lacking, you need a person there who has the same presence that your voice over guy has. If you don't it starts to remind me of the many conspiracy theory videos around which are basically driven by a comanding voice over and strung together bits of video fact of fiction.

Having a real person there would make a huge difference to audience attitudes, I think Tim has mentioned this as well.

A persons face has a huge effect in delivering a message.

Overall its a grand effort on a HUGE subject, good luck with it.
    I am beginning to think that you and Tim are correct on that point. It is designed for a more mature audience and the visual presence of the presenter would give it a more BBC/Discovery Channel type of format-look. What I want to avoid is the "talking head" syndrome.

Yes, it is a huge and complicated subject and getting the right feedback this early in the production phase is invaluable to me. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    What I want to avoid is the "talking head" syndrome.
    Absolutely right or it will come across as proseltysation. (Thanks to rollingstock for broadening my vocabulary)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Absolutely right or it will come across as proseltysation. (Thanks to rollingstock for broadening my vocabulary)
    Ok, I am now convinced that the presenter (me) should appear both on camera and off camera throughout this thing. Now I need some suggestions on what kind of setting(s) the presenter should be staged into. Outdoor or indoors, or both? Casually dressed? Carrying a rock hammer or something geology wise? Keep in mind that I am stuck in Kuwait for at least another year and there ain't much here but sand, camels, sand, the Persian/Arab Gulf shore, Oil rigs and refineries, more sand...

I am open to creative suggestion here, guys. I can't think of a tie-in on the above with the subject matter. Perhaps someone outside this project can.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

I think some of the god voice and some with a presnter may be more persualsive - but even as is it is cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast