Thread: Trusted UK Retailers of a Sony PD-170

1. Question Trusted UK Retailers of a Sony PD-170

Alright, this is kind of driving me a bit crazy.

I want to buy a Sony DSR-PD170 PAL Camcorder and have been looking online for the best prices.

Bentonvillemall.co.uk are offering it for 2280. This sounded fantastic until I did a quick Google check on Bentonvillemall. There's threads and threads of review sites all over the net saying things along the line of "DO NOT BUY FROM BENTONVILLEMALL!!"

It turns out that whereas the website says they have everything in stock it's more the case that when you buy a product they then try and find it for you elsewhere, thus it can takes weeks and weeks to get to you. Customer service is crap, no phone number, emails often ignored etc etc etc

So I decided not to trust this company with my huge wads of cold hard currency and looked elsewhere.

I found HDEWCameras.com. They're selling the PD-170 for 2275.
    Right here

Again, I looked up reviews for this business but can't actually find any.

I'm always suspicious when it comes to online purchasing at the best of times but when a company is apparently selling professional video equipment for multiple thousands of pounds yet has a website that looks like a 13 year old kid threw it together for a school project it does make me a bit wary.

I just want my damn Sony PD-170 :( BUT FROM WHERE DO I BUY IT??!!

So I have some questions for you fine VideoForums folk...

1) Which retailers do you use and reccommend when it comes to buying expensive video equipment?

2) Does anyone know a reliable place from which to buy the Sony PD-170?

3) Has anyone here used HDEWCameras.com before?

Thanks, guys

Blog Entries

Surely a used version is the way. Lots around and I think the PD has an hours meter.

3. Default

You mean buy second hand? Isn't that a bit risky with a video camera? There's no way to know how worn out the camera's components are or how many times it's been dropped!

Also, what is an hours meter? Is that a fancy term for "a clock"? :P

I had a bad experience with Bentonville Mall so stay away from those guys. I now use retailers such as production gear or creativevideo. A good guide to use for online retailers is 'do they have a showroom you can visit.' If they do then this usually means that the business is not opperated out of somebodies livingroom.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

I have used proav.co.uk and the other I think is called creativevideo.co.uk (have to check that) and they seemed jolly nice

Blog Entries

I have purchased one new camera nad many used ones over the last few years.

One of the used ones broke / wore out - as did the new one. My expirience of new v used is that it makes no odds so long as you buy sensibly.

An hours meter tells you how long the camera has been in operation.

Blog Entries

Also it may be daft not to buy the similarly priced and HDV and DV capable sony z1 - it's a modern pd170 really.

Sony : HVR-Z1E (HVRZ1E) : Product Overview : United Kingdom