Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVCHD -> More easily editable format: workflow?

Default AVCHD -> More easily editable format: workflow?

I have a Panasonic SD9, this was the best camera for my needs, I knew the problems with editing AVCHD and am fully prepared to spend a lot of time, a reasonable amount of money and trial & error in getting the footage how I want it.

I've done a search for AVCHD, read through half a dozen posts, like this one: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/perfect...-question.html

My question is for anyone who shoots in AVCHD (panasonics variation ideally), and specifically for Mark.

What is your workflow for getting AVCHD into your editing app' for eventual output on DVD?

I have not shot much footage yet, and have experimented with a couple of options using my ancient desktop PC and Premiere 6.0:

1 - slow and messy (don't laugh) - use AV-DV passthrough on my old Canon MV600i to capture in DV via firewire, then edit in Prem 6.0 as normal.

2 - quick and messy - use AVCHD_CONVERT (available here: Mini Guide - AVCHD to Anything Using DGAVCdec - VideoHelp.com) which is a batch file that gives you an .avs file at whatever resolution you need which can be opened in Virtual dub and output as avi for editing.

This is reasonably quick even on my underpowered PC (2.4GHZ 1GB ram), but I get bad artifacts on my video - apparently due to Panasonics quirky implementation of the AVCHD codec.

Any software/hardware considered, any timescale acceptable, my output will eventually be on a Standard Def DVD and/or an SD card for playback via a PS3.

Any responses appreciated.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Blog Entries

I presume you mean marc pters, not me. I tried a AVCHD camera I had for rewiew - and soon gave up....

Blog Entries

I use one of two different method. The first is to convert to DV using the free application from Mainconcept provided by Panasonic. This application will convert ACVHD to DV from Panasonic cameras. It does it in batches and quickly. No artifacts. You can download the application from here: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...load.htm#avchd

The second is to use TMPGenc Xpress 4.0 to transcode to HDV. Not as fast, but maintains a higher definition than DV. I use this method, then export to MPEG2 at the same res for playback on a PS3.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 02-15-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I presume you mean marc pters, not me. I tried a AVCHD camera I had for rewiew - and soon gave up....
    Oops, Yeah, I meant Marc. sorry. He mentioned his workflow in the other post ubt didn't go into specifics.

Although anyones input is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I use one of two different method. The first is to convert to DV using the free application from Mainconcept provided by Panasonic. This application will convert ACVHD to DV from Panasonic cameras. It does it in batches and quickly. No artifacts. You can download the application from here: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...load.htm#avchd

The second is to use TMPGenc Xpress 4.0 to transcode to HDV. Not as fast, but maintains a higher definition than DV.
    Brilliant, thanks for the super quick response both of you!

I'll check that app out for the downconversion to DV, I've used TMPGenc Xpress before for other things - but I'm not sure my current PC will handle HDV.

Blog Entries

I honestly think the smrt move is to get rid of the camera and get a tape camera.

Blog Entries

I now love my little SD9 after an initial temper tantrum. I've dropped it a few times already (once in snow), it fits neatly into my jacket pocket, I love the fact I don't have to use tapes and I love how it looks on my TV. I'm a fussy bugger, but not technically fussy. If somethings looks good, it's okay by me. And although AVCHD isn't yet easy to edit, it IS easy to transfer it to a medium that is. I keep all of the original raw footage ready to edit when I can (easily). Until then I use the trimmed HDV or DV files to edit.

The smart move for me was learning how to use the media. I'm pleased with my decision to buy the SD9. It's a great little cam for messing about - quite a few people have asked if it's even a camcorder. In fact it's smaller than some mobile phones on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I honestly think the smrt move is to get rid of the camera and get a tape camera.
    I've got a tape camera - two in fact.

I needed a small camera for travelling and shooting water footage when surfing/bodyboarding (i.e. helmet cam or compact hand-held).

By the time my target audience have HD tv's and blu-ray capable equipment I'll have new hardware and the software will be more able to cope with native AVCHD editing (...probably), for now I need to get by, which I can do, and hopefully with Marcs links, will be able to do even more efficiently.

No tape camera at the time I bought it could offer me the same quality and durability at the same size the SD9 does.

my first test with the SD9 on full auto went well:

How do i edit AVCHD from my Canon HG-10 ?
    Plug the cam into the pc (usb lead),
    My computer>right click> open new drive (camcorder), copy to folder, etc.
    Then open vegas (pro , drag footage onto timeline, edit, render to mpeg-2, mp4 or whatever, no fuss.
    I don't know why everyone makes a fuss about AVCHD being hard to edit with, i hear the same complaints over and over, i just don't get it.
    I'm using an off the shelf quad core pc q6600 processor, cost me 500 about 18 months ago, it's not some super duper high spec machine.
    The footage from the canon is no more hard to edit than my EX1 footage, i quite often mix both on the same timeline.

Paul.

Blog Entries

PK - yea - vegas 8 is cool but if you use many other apps problems arise - and dont forget your PC is faster than most peoples.

And it is worse quality than HDV and significantly clunkier to edit on most systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast