Thread: TV piccies on Dell C840

Default TV piccies on Dell C840

Good morning all from a very sunny Spain.
    I have a Nikon 990 camera with a tv output delivering either NTSC or Pal composite video, which I am using in macro mode as a low power microscope. It works well on a standard television, which, unfortunately, is not portable.
    I do not wish at the moment to save any video, just view on screen as I move the subject around under the camera lens.
    I wish to use the camera to do something similar with a Dell C840 laptop using the IEEE 1394 port. This would allow me field portability.
    How can I accomplish this without parting with many bucks, as I am now a pensioner on limited income.
    The C840 IEEE controller is a Texas Instruments OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host controller, with a 4 pin IEEE 1394 input connector.
    I already have an EasyCap composite video to USB piece of external hardware, but of course the C840 only has USB 1.1 which cannot be upgraded to USB 2.0, thus is far too slow for composite video.
    I am pretty well computer illiterate, so click by click answers ( if any ) please.
    Kind regards.

Blog Entries

I am not sure about live video out on any stills cameras - sugget you also try a stills camera forum.

Default Re tv piccies

Thanks Mark.
    I am a retired electronics design engineer.
    All I really need to know is if there is a low cost way of converting Composite PAL signals to a Firewire input.
    Kind regards.

I'm no expert on composite video signals or Firewire but I would say they are completely different and there is no way of converting one to the other. Is there no composite video in on the device you wish to connect to?

Quote Originally Posted by sigmaflo View Post
    I already have an EasyCap composite video to USB piece of external hardware, but of course the C840 only has USB 1.1 which cannot be upgraded to USB 2.0, thus is far too slow for composite video.
    How do youo know its too slow? have you tried it? 9 time out of 10 they don't use the full speed of usb 2.0