Thread: editing with emulation?

Default editing with emulation?

Hi guys.
    Does anyone run Final Cut on a PC with Mac emulation with any success? I don't know much about emulation but somebody must have tried it.

2. Default

I have never tired this, but if you were going to go through all the trouble of setting up OS X as a virtual pc, then wouldn't it be easier just to boot in OS X. This would no doubt be faster then any emulator.

You've lost me. Shows how much I know.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll do some more research!

Blog Entries

Sounds like a recipie for hassle to me.

Why not just use a PC editor - fcp aint really anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Sounds like a recipie for hassle to me.

Why not just use a PC editor - fcp aint really anything special.
    'cos FCP is 'industry standard' (whether you like it or not)

Yeah we use Final Cut at work and I don't really want to be using a different system at home, I have enough trobule adjusting back to a single moniter every night!

Hi Matt,

I'm interested -where do you work and where are you based? I work on FCP and Avid and I've had some issues - not insurmountable - transferring projects between the two. Haven't tried any sort of emulation yet.

Cheers,

mr_noise

Hi Mr Noise.

I am a cameraman/editor for a small production company in regional Australia, we make commercials for free-to-air TV and the odd corporate dvd.
    My wife and I would both like to get back into a bit of hobby short film making. A mac is pretty expensive for a hobby toy, but I can get Leopard and FCP Studio 5 for free from work.

I have only used FCP and Premier, do you find much difference between FCP and Avid? Do you use them both out of convenience or do you find advantages in each of them?

Cheers,
    Matt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe View Post
    'cos FCP is 'industry standard' (whether you like it or not)
    I place as much value on that phrase as I do ' broadcast quality'. It's a self perpetutaitng meme driven by the power of bullshit -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I place as much value on that phrase as I do ' broadcast quality'. It's a self perpetutaitng meme driven by the power of bullshit -
    *shrug*

I never said I thought it should be, but there is definite snobbery from a lot of editors (obviously not all) towards people that use Windows PCs for editing.

But that goes for a lot of Mac users anyway