Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resort Ad

Question Resort Ad Critque needed.

I made this ad for a local Resort. The occasion was for Valentines. I would appreciate everyone's criticism, you can throw anything at it. That's the only way I can see the mistakes I have made on it. What better way to learn than from your mistakes right.

If you scroll down you can see the ad, I placed both versions I had. I didn't know I could embed the videos here. Am learning as I go. so I removed the link I had to Vimeo.

Thanks,
    Leal
    Last edited by princeleal84; 02-13-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Embeded Videos

It may help to link the video, not the channel if your after views.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

My main worry is that the footage could have been shot anywhere - Where does the Bay resort feature in this?

Default Update

*rollingstock's: Ok. I will place the linked video here. Believe me its not my intention to get views in Vimeo, just didn't know how to embed the video here.

These are two versions, only difference is one is instrumental and the other use the original music.

Version 1

Version 2

*Andy Lockwood: Well I was thinking the same thing. But I intend to improve as I continue learning. One thing the Resort owners mentioned was that I could have shown the rooms, and the Bay. But since it was night time the camera could not capture the bay as I intended. I guess I need some strong lighting. What would you suggest to shoot at night?
    Last edited by princeleal84; 02-13-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Blog Entries

My suggestion would be to shoot those scenes at dusk - you'll get the night time look without hassle. It's about planning really. Knowing you couldn't get the shot you wanted at the time you wanted, you should have gone earlier.

When creating an ad of any kind, think about what as a potential customer, would motivate you to respond to it.

For instance, in this example the ad is for the Bay Resort right? Well, I've never been there and have no idea if it's even next to a bay, and more, if it is, the bay could be full of oil tankers waiting to dock - I don't know. I want to see the bay in all its beauty and I want to see the resort - I have no idea if it's a total dump.

Difficult remit to achieve in thirty something seconds, but that's what pro's have to achieve. And that's why pro's are expensive. Fulfilling the remit is by no means impossible. What you shot looks acceptable, but as I said, it could have been shot in my basement.

The customer is clearly not satisfied as you've said - I suggest you talk to the owner more before you embark on a project like this and establish up front what they're looking for and then interpret that as best you can.

It's a shame others haven't seen this thread - I'd be interested what views the other pro's have...
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 02-14-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Sorry, this does absolutely nothing for the resort.
    As Andy says it could have been shot anywhere.
    Watch TV ads. They can pack much more attractive detail into 30 secs. 6 - 5second scenes = location, venue, facilities, service then hit em with the Valentine 'theme'.
    The front end would then cope with other 'themes' through the year.
    My intro would, probably like Andys, have made use of a cam crane swooping down through the palms into the hotel foyer, but that stuff is down to you and your imagination.
    Well done for trying to improve.
    p.s. FWIW I never watch videos with sound up. Many get carried away with a good track and forget the visuals need to make the same impact.
    Last edited by Zero; 02-14-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Putting aside the technical aspects, I would say the remit has been fulfilled here. The OP suggests that the ad is for a specific event (Valentine's Day). To that extent, I'm not sure that the scene setting is required. May even be counter-productive. This is based on the assumption that the ad is for 'locals' that know full well what the resort itself looks like, but may have been unaware of what the venue itself offers. I think, if anything, there's not enough footage of the venue...

Even locals may need reminding what a great, romantic location this coud be for their celebration.
    Don't know If the brief was 'feature the restaurant' or 'feature the food' or 'feature our services' but they did say they would like the bay and rooms featured which to me would have been a good starting point.

Having said that business owners sometimes want focus too long on their pet likes and don't see the bigger picture or what can be achieved.
    I always ask clients to watch TV ads to see how much info can be packed into short promos and how it can be made exciting.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    ..Putting aside the technical aspects, I would say the remit has been fulfilled here......
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    ..I think, if anything, there's not enough footage of the venue...
    A contradiction?

Blog Entries

I'm perhaps guilty of changing my mind halfway through posting. Initially I saw a logical approach from the OP, but then realised that the OP hadn't really gone far enough in that direction. In essence, I think zero says it best by suggesting that so much more could have been covered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast