Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another, "is this an ok spec pc" thread

Default Yet another, "is this an ok spec pc" thread

Hi

Thought I would start at the begining.

Have the DV Camcorder, now need the PC.

THis is what I recon so far and would appreciate your thoughts.

Processor = p4 - 3.2 Prescott with HT
    Mobo = Abit AS8 (LGA775)
    Memory = 1 gig
    H Drives = 1 x WD Raptor 36.7GB (OS) + 1 x WD Raptor 74GB (OS)
    I may go 2 x WD Raptor 36.7GB at Raid 0, what do you think?
    Video = ?
    DVD Writer = ?

I already have a 19" CRT Monitor, Kboard and mouse

So what do you think. This must also be a quiet pc

i think u should go A64 (90nm socket 939)....its performance is amazing, while remaining very costy effective. It is also much more future-proofed than the current intels

For the Hard Drives, i would get like 2 of the new 300gig SATA Maxtors with the 16meg cache that support ncq
    2.6b at 3.3
    1 gig of OCZ Platinum Limited Edition PC3200(2-2-2)
    Abit IC7
    Seagate 80gb sata
    Aspire X-Alien
    460W Enermax
    9800 Pro
    SP-94 with Tornado

Panasonic GS200 on its way with:
    3 DV Tapes, Tripod, Bag, Telephoto Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit

first off, your windows install and all your apps will *never* approach 74gb, unless you're planning on having a LOT of games etc installed.

If i was building a new performance pc these days, i'd go athlon64, without a doubt.

1gb of memory, or even 2gb if you can stretch that far.

as for video data hard drive tomfoolery, raptors would be lovely, yep. 2x74gb drives would be nice, raid0'd. Guess it depends on how much footage you'll be editing at a time, really.

The video card is practically unimportant. you'd be better off with cheaper card, and a second monitor, rather than buying a top of the range ati or nvidia card. For video editing, a ti4200 will do everything a brand spanking new card will do, at 1/6 of the price, saving money to spend on other things. Unless you're wanting to play games, of course. Really though, dual-monitors will help with any kind of design or editing. I recently built a website, and i'd have loved to have had another monitor here.

dvd writers are dirt cheap, and pretty much all do the same thing, but i've had good experiences with pioneer drives.

Really though, you need to tell us what you'll use the pc for. is it JUST for video editing, and that alone?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

I would still stick with those Maxtor Drives...they offer basically the same performance as the Raptors(its real close, but the raptoyrs win)...

Dual Monitors are amazing for anything that involves image editing (ex. dreamweaver and fireworks/photoshop or primiere and photoshop)
    2.6b at 3.3
    1 gig of OCZ Platinum Limited Edition PC3200(2-2-2)
    Abit IC7
    Seagate 80gb sata
    Aspire X-Alien
    460W Enermax
    9800 Pro
    SP-94 with Tornado

Panasonic GS200 on its way with:
    3 DV Tapes, Tripod, Bag, Telephoto Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit

The video card is practically unimportant. you'd be better off with cheaper card, and a second monitor, rather than buying a top of the range ati or nvidia card. For video editing, a ti4200 will do everything a brand spanking new card will do
    Not wholly true. Some video editing software can actually utilise the GPU providing you with RT effects without them having to render, as well as improved rendering performance for those effects which cannot be done in RT. Pinnacle's Liquid Edition benefits from a faster video card and also supports the PCI Express cards too (I am sure there are other suites too but I don't know about them).

A 74GB HDD is on the small side if it is the drive which will be holding your video editing projects, render files and captured media. However, it's plenty large enough for an operating system only drive.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Quote Originally Posted by mrlipring
    first off, your windows install and all your apps will *never* approach 74gb, unless you're planning on having a LOT of games etc installed.
    I assume you mean if I went the raid one route. My 1st option would be 1 x 36gig.

It seems that many seem to think the Athlon is a better route. Is the Intel not more reliable?

Other things that the PC will be doing is surfing, general office docs, my websites and some PSP work.

I gave up playing games after I relised I was crap

I agree with almost everything people have said. The Intel is reliable enough, but like p4ocer said, the A64 is more futureproof, and just wait until 64bit software becomes more readily availble. Whoosh!

DVD writers - the only ones I've had experience of are the NEC and Sony range, which seem to work perfectly well. Make sure you get a Dual Layer writer as they're only a few pounds/dollars/whatever more than single layer.

I don't necessarily agree wth what LJR was saying about video cards. Sure, some of the older cards may struggle with realtime effects, but even the middle-to-low range of cards (Nvidia FX5700 or ATI radeon 9600 or above) should be more than up to the job.

Dual monitor is a HUGE bonus. You'll wonder how you did without 2 monitors. A much better and more cost-effective way of getting the same resolution on a bigger single monitor. My second monitor just failed though. Boo Hiss.

The performance difference I have seen quoted from tests (again this is Pinnacle) is that you can render in realtime up to 8 layers of High Definition Video (1080i) when using a high-end 256MB graphics card, and only around 3 without.

Most video editing packages don't provide the ability for rt effects (without additional bespoke hardware). Most require you to render all effects on the timeline before viewing them. In LE you can view a good many of the effects without rendering, however, this is obviously dependent on the performance of the graphics card as it utilises the GPU for this.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Quote Originally Posted by mikefishcake
    ...some of the older cards may struggle with realtime effects, but even the middle-to-low range of cards (Nvidia FX5700 or ATI radeon 9600 or above) should be more than up to the job.
    Having no troubles here running an FX5700 graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by LJR
    The performance difference I have seen quoted from tests (again this is Pinnacle) is that you can render in realtime up to 8 layers of High Definition Video (1080i) when using a high-end 256MB graphics card, and only around 3 without.
    Fair enough, but there are other options to take into account.

As most people aren't working in HDV yet (including petrolhead), for the time being there may not be much of a call for the amount of power to utilise that.

Also, there are budgetary constraints too. Personally, if my choice was between an extra monitor and a faster video card, I would choose the extra monitor. If you've got the money to buy both, then by all means do so, but personal preference would be to choose a larger workspace over a higher frame rate.

Not forgetting that a quiet PC was one of the prerequisites, so the faster cards as a rule require more cooling.

There isn't really a right and a wrong answer to this question, just personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast