Thread: Frame rates

1. Question Frame rates

I have a question about frame ratesthat one of you wizards will know the answer to I guess. I am using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0c build 136
    If I preview a clip in auto preview from the explorer the readout under the display always shows a steady figure, if I now drag the same clip to the timeline and play it there the display always shows a lower varying frame rate. There are no transitions or adjustments made to the clip, the Composite level is at 100%, is this effect because the clip preview from explorer is not actually displaying a frame rate at all ?
    My computer is an Intel Dual core quad 2.4G hz with 4 Gb of RAm. My understanding is that the Video is controlled by the CPU and that a fancy Graphics card is not necessary for good video performance.
    I am using 2 TFT displays with Preview only on the 2nd display, the preview window is stretched to fill most of the 2nd display. Could this be the reason that the frame rate is varying, I have tried all the different preview settings from Draft to Best and with all the different options for each setting but they appear to make little difference to the frame rate. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject please without getting too technical.
    Regards
    Red.kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

Blog Entries

Hi Red,
    1. You are correct, the graphics card has little impact (I won't say none as when I swapped to a card with 256MB RAM I did get a noticable improvement, but I suspect that's down to having more room to buffer frames). But the Graphics card does no graphics processing as such.

2. I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4 with 2GB RAM, so similar basic system and ran a simple test.
    I dropped a clip into a new project and got the same results as you - a fied rate of 25fps precviewing the clip from explorer but a variable rate previewing the timeline (no fx etc etc etc)
    THEN I spotted my default project is set up as 16:9 but the clip was 4:3 so OBVIOUSLY Vegas was doing some processing.
    I changed the project properties to 4:3 and - hey presto - previewing from the timeline was a steady 25fps even in Best/Full SO LONG AS the Display Size of the preview was not much bigger than 720 wide. Interesting, huh?
    Tim

3. Default

Hi Tim
    Thanks for your comments, My clips are filmed in 16:9 widescreen and the project is being edited in widescreen. I don't know the size of the preview window but I do know that making it smaller makes a difference. I will have a look later on and see what size the preview is running at. I guess I was a little disappointed that the quad core processor had not improved this aspect of the editing process much on my old system that was a single core processor running at 2 G Hz.
    I don't understand why the clip should play differently from the Explorer to the timeline when both are displayed in the preview screen at the same size.

Cheers
    red.kite

Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red.kite View Post
    I don't understand why the clip should play differently from the Explorer to the timeline when both are displayed in the preview screen at the same size.

I can only guess that when playing from the explorer, Vegas isn't doing any processing but when playing from the timeline it has to calculate that it';s not doing any processing (weak, I know).
    You haven't got "stretch to fit" or similar turned on somewhere have you?
    Tim