Thread: Slow-mo consumer camcorder

Default Slow-mo consumer camcorder

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a consumer digital camcorder that can capture video in slow motion. I'm pretty new to camcorders so I don't know a whole lot about all the nuances, so any general pointers for a novice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I want to do a small video project, film-noir detective style in low light conditions with a lot of slow-mo shots. I want it to look good, but I understand there is a limit with consumer gear, as there is with my budget - 500 MAX. Rental might become an option but that's a last resort.

I don't intend to have the final video viewed on TV at all - I just want quicktime movies for the PC at the end of the day, so I don't know if that makes anything easier. Also I don't have a load of technical equipment - just USB and firewire ports on my PC, so anything that will just let me plug it in and drag the video file onto my desktop would be best.

So far the only camcorders I can find that has slow-mo is the Sony TG3 which only captures slow-mo in 3 second bursts.

Any help would be really appreciated, I have to admit I'm a total novice when it comes to the hardware side so thanks if you can give me some pointers.
    Last edited by inertiat; 02-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Blog Entries

How many fps do you need?

A very few camcorders go up to 60 fps but thats it apart from burst modes on a few more.

Blog Entries

^^^^ if you dont mind the low resoloution the stills camera mentioned above is the only real slo mo affordable camera out there.

High speed rrames are captured at typically 320 x240 - less for the hghest frame rates.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0SnYaByCek"]YouTube - Water Balloon - Casio EXILIM Pro EX-F1 - 600fps[/ame]

I want one !
    Last edited by Mark W; 02-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.