Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions related to Poker and Video

Default Questions related to Poker and Video

Hey how are ya..

I must first admit, I have absolutely 0 editing experience. I am here to try and get some knowledge as to how I can implement some stuff in a video..

I have a project in prelim. stages and am wondering how I can integrate certain things into a video while editing it.. I basically want to know how I am going to have to do things before I present this little project to an investor.. I must know every aspect before I do this so I know what I must do to get this off the ground..

I think a lot of us have seen the Poker shows on TV lately... High Stakes Poker on GSN, WSOP, WPT etc etc.. When you are watching, you see the person's cards pop up on the screen, that are in the hand, and the percentages associated with that hand.. Then they show the flop, turn and river cards and the percentages change during that time.. What I am wondering is how is that done?? Is it during the shoot in the back somewhere with all of the equipment or is it done after the video is shot and edited in...?? I appreciate anyone help and comments with this!

Thanks!
    Ken

Blog Entries

It could be either.

As to pitching a film to investors.... A little challenging as you are not a filmmkaer - how would you react if someone who knew nothnig about something tried to get money from you for something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    how would you react if someone who knew nothnig about something tried to get money from you for something ?
    I would tell them to go get more info and come back when they are ready to pitch me their idea..

That is why I am here Mark.. To get all of the info I need in order to do that.. Correct me if I am wrong, but this forum is here to teach people different aspects of film making, cinematography, story lines, etc etc.. Am I wrong..?

I am simply here to understand how the process works.. If there is a problem with my question, please direct me to any sort of 'sticky' for forum rules..

Blog Entries

Tsk - no forum can teach you how to be a plausalbe film maker cos you aint one.

I nearly am and it has taken 7 years of work and study....

You wont understand the answers even if you could ask the right questions.

It's like me having an idea for a building design and piching it to a property investor. I am not an architect - so I would hire one.

Your idea may be good but sounds to me like you need the professional services of a film maker.

Nor do I ever intend to be..

I think in this case, your answer could have been a simple,

Your idea may be good but sounds to me like you need the professional services of a film maker.
    I totally agree with you, but I Was hoping I could get some friendly advice by coming here and asking nicely..

I nearly am and it has taken 7 years of work and study....

You wont understand the answers even if you could ask the right questions.

It's like me having an idea for a building design and piching it to a property investor. I am not an architect - so I would hire one.

Wow. That's a bit brutal isn't it? Can't someone just come on here and ask a question anymore without being ripped to shreds?

Blog Entries

Although I would normally agree with this sentiment, a drop of harsh reality can do wonders. If someone wants a simple answer to a simple question, that's generally what the poster gets. However, sometimes the simplest answer can be, "Hire someone to help". I've paid people to design websites for the simple reason that the cost of hiring someone is cheaper than me spending the time learning a trade I don't need.

What Mark is saying is that to attract investors, as the OP states he wants, he would be wise to invest in the services of a professional. I know the ethos of forums is generally offerering help for free, but there is a limit to how much we can help! Sometimes, just sometimes, the greatest help can be, "Hold on a minute, if this involves attracting investores, and you know nothing about the subject in hand, why don't you pay someone that does?".

Film making isn't something you just pick up as you go. And if you want funding, you have to be prepared to invest some of your own money / time. A harsh reality check now could save a lot in the long run.

I know what Mark was trying to say Marc. I just think that there are more polite ways to say them rather than alienate someone who has only recently joined the forum.

Blog Entries

Welcome to my world.

If you want to be a professional film/videomaker then it's no good being a delicate flower who gets insulted when people speak directly and bluntly.

If you come into this forum as an amateur and ask technical questions you will get pages of advice. You will be treated as an enthusiast. If you come on here as a "professional" (which is what you want to be) you will be treated as a professional. To paraphrase...

"If you want to be a cook but can't stand the heat... stay out of the kitchen."

to which I would add.

"... and hire a chef."

Why can't this clique ever be critical of one another?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast