Thread: Is 24P with pulldown removed smooth?

Default Is 24P with pulldown removed smooth?

PAL DVDs suffer from a 4% speed increase, whereas NTSC DVDs use a 3:2 pulldown, which apparently causes a slightly jerky image.

If something was captured at 24P but encoded in a 60i stream by the camcorder (and adding a 3:2 pulldown), would it result in slightly jerky motion even when the pulldown is removed and it becomes a true progressive stream?

Just to make things clear, by jerky I mean UNEVEN motion, not the normal low framerate jitter that 24p has.

2. Default

I would guess so, you may also get interlacing issues.

Blog Entries

I ahve never noticed pull down judder on ntsc films, and that is watching on 7ft projection system. But NTSC dvds do look soft copamred to pal.

The 4% change in speed on pal has never bothered me but I wish it wasnt there, Specifically I cant sense any pictch changes in music, but I dont have perfect pitch.

I have no inside knowledge but I suspect the pitch is coprrected - technically that wouldnt be hard.

It seems logical that if you deinterlace a clip with a 2 3 pulldown the (tiny) artifacts of pull down would remain.

Are these artifacts actually bothering you cos I cant say it has ever bothered me - apart from in principle.

I think all films from hollywood - well nearly all - should run at double speed to get them over with quicker. lols.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Are these artifacts actually bothering you cos I cant say it has ever bothered me - apart from in principle.
    I can't really say yet, but if there are noticeable artifacts, it would.

I was asking because I'm thinking about buying one of these Canon HF xx camcorders. The NTSC version can record in 24p, with a pulldown, whereas the PAL version can record in 25p without one. I'd get the PAL one straight of the bat, but we might be moving to CA this summer, and that'd mean the NTSC version would be a better choice, but only if the 24p is good enough for me (basically no jerkiness and preferably no artefacts). Am I being picky? Maybe. But if one is going to spend that amount of money…

I've been looking round the net for raw 24p sample files that I can experiment with, but I've not found any so far.

P.S. I have a reason for considering a drive based camcorder, so whether tape is better or not, I don't care.