Thread: Minimum post count for URL posting

Blog Entries

Default Minimum post count for URL posting

We recently implemented a limitation on posting URLs for new members. This was to prevent spamming. Unfortunately it has increased spam; members now post garbage to increase their post count. As such, we are now removing this feature.

Blog Entries

Yes, it was a cruel irony indeed. Are you planning an alternative? It's difficult to imagine something that is effective which doesn't require an increase in work by mods.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Been thinking the same thing myself.
    I am astonished spammers went to such lengths - weird.
    Was worth a try.

Marc, I have noticed this as well of late, maybe have their replies as PM to whoever posted for them, I am no good at anything internet so I can't think of something effective and still fair.

I did mention this to Mark W of late, I called it climbing the ladder, or sometimes spin the wheel, see where it stops.

By raising the bar too high it will drive people away, and from my small understading you need traffic through a web site, unless your doing this all for free.

If you are really serious just ban all URL links, have people upload video to your site like the good old days.

In these days of highly evolved web networks, those who spam on you forums are still spreading your word, lets not forget about that. These days I no longer invite people here to post a video, let them find it for themselves, your forums ride pretty high in any video google search.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Grr, just type a long reply, then mistakenly closed the window in an alt-tab related incident.

Anyway, to summarise! I encourage people to join to post. I hope they stay to learn, or occasionally stay to teach. This is a site for video editors. YouTube isn't. If you want to improve your video, you'd be better placed posting the video on a forum.

So why not enable a video upload feature? Simple. Copyright, bandwidth and money. I let YouTube do all of that for me.