Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost audio withmpg's

Default Lost audio withmpg's

I use Cyberlink Power Director 3 to burn DVD's of captured video from my video capture card connected to a VHS player. Everything works fine, the DVD has both video and audio.

I received some flv files and converted them to mpg with Pazera flv converter to mpg's. I can click on the new mpg and run it in Windows Media player fine.

When I bring the mpg's into Power Director to burn, I don't have any audio. Neither on the preview or dvd produced.

What am I doing wrong that I am losing the audio.

THanks for any suggestions.

Joe

The converter "may" be using a codec for the audio that Power Director does not have access to, doesn't recognize or has no association with.
    You can find out by checking the file with "GSpot" (seriously, that's what it is called!) to see if there is anything unusual (from Power Director's point of view).

I just checked and it uses AC3 audio codec when converting.

Is this a regular codec for audio?

I checked a MPG I know that works in PD 3 and it has MPEG-1 layer 2 for a codec.

Im just wondering if I can change the codec in my converter.

THanks again for your assistance.

Joe

Blog Entries

It's a distinct possibility that the power director isn't able to decode the AC3 audio as previously suggested. If you have an option to encode to uncompressed PCM (it may be referred to as WAV audio or similar. Looking at a screenshot for Pazera flv converter, the setting appears to be under the audio section in the main screen. I will download a copy and take a look.

Blog Entries

Interesting. It's really just a GUI for ffmpeg. Anyway, as suspected the setting is under the audio settings. Change this to PCM 16 bit. Note that this option is only available when you change to AVI output under the video settings.

Just to clarify the AC3 thing for you.
    AC3 was originally a privately developed sound codec that was ultimately bought by Dolby a few years back. Of course once Dolby owned it and continued development it became licensed (you pay!).
    AC3 is what we now call Dolby Digital.

Power Director 3 is going back 4 versions now so there is no way that PD3 would have the Dolby license included and most likely no way of adding it as at the time AC3 was not used much.

Although AC3 (Dolby Digital) was available on commercial DVDs it wasn't until the introduction of DVD Camcorders that Dolby became an issue for home editors as the new camcorders were using MPEG2 with Dolby sound.

As Marc Peters has suggested you need to keep the conversion to either PCM sound or MPEG2 sound.

I found the area on the bottom. I always heard mpg has the best video but I suppose converting flash videos form the net avi format is good enough.

It's funny you can change the audio codec when converting to avi but not mpg.

Does anybody know of a shareware flv converter that can convert to mpg and be able to pick the audio codec?

If anything I will use avi and a differnt codec from now on.

THanks

Joe

Blog Entries

In very simple terms, AVI isn't a codec, but the name of a wrapper. An avi file will could be encoded with any variety of codec from lossless uncompressed formats to highly compressed video files. MPEG will always be both lossy and relatively highly compressed.

I found if I put the mpg tab active and pick custom in the drop down list, I can change the audio from AC3 to either PCM 16 bit or mpg2 - 1 layer 2.

When I converted the flv with the settings mpg/custom/mpg version 2 rest of video is auto.

Audio is at set MP-2 - MPEG-1 Layer 2.

Now when converted, Windows media player gets audio and but video is pixilated bad.

If you downloaded this converter, could you let me know what to set everything at on the bottom (Video/Audio) to be used in Windows media player and Power Director 3.

I would think if PD3 can burn it and work in a dvd, it would work WMP.

Thanks for the assistance.

Joe

I am using hte mpg's converted using custom and audio on mpeg - 1 layer 2 and they are working in PD3. The files say they are mpg-1 but if it works.

One thing I am going to do a Gspot on one of the files and post it here and if someone can see why Windows Media Player won't play them.

Will have Gspot info tomorrow.

THanks

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast