Thread: software suggestions - Maintaining Video quality after export

Default software suggestions - Maintaining Video quality after export

I know this topic is kind of beaten to death, but doing searches of the forum I couldn't quite find an answer

I am taking videos with cheap Panasonic camera and an underwater case

I am primarily taking a bunch of little clips, throwing them together and placing a music track over them, the throwing them on vimeo and posting on hobby site

the properties of one of clips according to adobe premiere

Type: QuickTime Movie
    File Size: 88.6 MB
    Image Size: 1280 x 720
    Pixel Depth: 1280
    Frame Rate: 30.00
    Source Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 8 bit - Mono
    Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
    Total Duration: 00:00:37:15
    Average Data Rate: 2.4 MB / second
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Now currently I am using $20 program called QuickTime pro, it allows me to slap clips together and put music on them

The clips video quality stays the SAME as the original ie a bunch of clips together have the same quality of the original, and file size stays the same

now quicktime pro has no functions in it , and I wanted to add transitions

so I download trial of vegas and have access to premiere through work

but cannot import anything and export it and have the quality

either the quality goes down a little and the file size become 10 times original

or file size and quality both go down a lot

I am looking for program that is basically quicktime pro that can do simple fade transition?

any suggestions?

Hi you could try Womble Mpeg Video Wizard it does smart render, if you try it in the Export section under Monitor there is a tab called Detail this gives you a graph of the parts of the video that are stream copy and the parts that are being altered.

i think i would then have to get another program to convert quick time to mpegs

which i guess is possible

Hi, it will take mov files but I just tried it on one I had converted to 720x1280.mov to put on Vimeo and it went into the program and could be edited but wouldn't do a stream copy and was going to convert it to mpg, so sorry not what you are looking for.

I just don't understand what the adobe products are doing

I just downloaded the demo of premiere elements

i opened a 45mb .mov file and export it with less resolution and I get a file that is 377 mb, wtf

I just exported the same 45mb file at 1280 x 720 and its now 1.2 gigs

I am assuming there is some type of compression missing, but with CS3 premiere i tired numerous settings on the export and they all caused a visible decrease in quality

I will try again with the cs3 I guess,I am sure its capable of what I am trying to do
    Last edited by deep-blue-water; 02-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Hi have you tried moving the quality slider in the video section of the Export Movie Settings you should be able to get a compromise between quality and file size, it is probably set to 100 percent, you might find you only need 50 and it will make a big difference in file size with not necessarily any noticeable loss in quality if you use the h264 codex.
    Bryan

I have exported numerous times using either just the export with various setting or the media encoder

I read that the h264 codec is what vimeo recommended and pretty much everything I have exported looks like crap

I have tried the quality at 50 and 100, tried exporting with turning the bitrate up and down, tried exported the with the frame size smaller or the same frame size as the original

they all look like crap, is there anyway to tell the cs3 premeire to just match the properties of the original clip

I can just slap togather clips and keep the same quality with a $20 program and there is no way to do it with a much more powerful program/?

Thanks for your help

Hi, from what I've seen with Premiere it doesn't seem to have smart render, well I've not found it, I use Video Studio Pro X2 mainly and you can select smart render, whether it will do mov files I don't know, I will try to find some files of he internet to try.
    Bryan

Just downloaded a file from vimeo in 1280x720 of a Panasonic TX5 and tried it in Pro X2 it doesn't do smart render on it but it did work using the HDV 720P output, and the file was slightly smaller then the original and when I dropped of a couple of still images from the original mov and the HDV mpg I could not see any quality loss. if you try a trail of Corel Video Studio Pro X2, you have to go to what they call Share to out put the edited video and there you will find the HDV 720P preset.
    Bryan

i downloaded the demo and it keeps blowing up

I will try reinstalling it