Thread: Any Runners?

Default Any Runners?

I've started a (slightly) more healthy lifestyle recently. This includes both eating healthier and more exercise. Exercise is in the form of running. Not been doing it wrong, got 'proper' running shoes/trainers. Now my question...

Walking out to my start point tonight I was stupid enough to trip on a curb and twisted my ankle a bit. Walked it off for a minute or two, felt ok so did my run. We're only talking seven reps of run two minutes and walk a minute here. Those who've met me know I'm the proverbial fat bloke so don't laugh. Anyway, Now I'm home and the shoes are off, the ankle is hurting a bitmore noticeably. Did I do wrong to run at all? If so should I cease completely until the ankle is back to completely good or is it ok to run on if it doesn't hurt much?

I'm inclined to beleive I should have stopped and that I'm liable to do more harm than good.

Strange thing though, this is the start of a new runnign week in my schedule and I've upped from run one minute to two minutes for each rep and it wasn;t even any harder. I was pleased about that much!

Blog Entries

Yea - you should have stopped.

Best to rest it as much as poss and dont run untill it is pain free.

Top marks for determination tho for sure. I am putting it on at present like I always do when feeling content and happy - tsk.

Blog Entries

I have read in reliable places that brisk walking is not far off as good as running so if you walk fast when not running you are still doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Yea - you should have stopped..
    Thought as much :(

I missed Monday cos of the weather and still being anew runner I didn't want to get into the habit of quitting.

So then, brisk walking until it's pain free then. Cheers mate.

Blog Entries

Yep, should have stopped. You get to know your body though after a few years of running. You get used to the niggling 'oooh, I think I may have twinged something there'. Then after a few minutes of running it's you either no it's time to stop or it's simply vanished. My simple rule is if I can't run freely, it's time to stop. As soon as you start compensating for an injury, STOP.

That's the thing though. It didn't stop my running at the time at all.

However, after sitting down for an hour after I got home - I found it flared up and now I can hardly walk....

Oh well, you live and learn. This is very much a new experience for me.