Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelogue intro - comments please

Blog Entries

Default Travelogue intro - comments please

I recently completed this travelogue about Majorca for our club competition (it won, but there were only three entries). A bit tricky really as everyone has been there, so rather than try for a different angle I said from the off that it's a cliché family holiday with the standard tourist day out.

I don't expect anyone to watch all nine minutes (it becomes a pretty standard travelogue) but I'd appreciate comments on the intro/ first couple of minutes.

YouTube - A Day Out in Mallorca

Please forgive the shakey camerawork. I was under very strict instructions that filming (ie taking a tripod) was not to take priority over our holiday
    Tim

Blog Entries

I've heard those 'strict instructions' more than once before. Unfortunately I couldn't watch with sound, but I thought it was a top notch video from the few minutes I watched.

Blog Entries

Thanks for watching, Marc and your kind comments. I beg you to try the opening with sound when you can. I'm sure you'll find it an improvement (though once my voiceover cuts in you may prefer the silence!)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Brilliant!

I like it!! Well done!!

Nice one! Really like your graphics, and also the matte of the island. Liked the pace and style cos these things can often be boring as f**k.

Two small changes I would make - your final photo in that mini-montage at the start is too dark - either do a slight grade on it or, preferably in my opinion, drop it and give each of the others a little more room.

Also I would drop the dissolve after the plane; it has no actual function and I think unnecessary dissolves look bad. That's probably just a matter of taste though.

But yeah good job really liked it actually.

Very nice!

ive been goin to mallorca for the past 17 years! we own a apartment in port de pollensa coincedently in bells regard which is along the same road as your hotel the playa mar!

what date where you there?

Blog Entries

Marc, thanks again - I'm truly flattered

cdf, Thanks for commenting - exactly the sort of comments I was after. I take it you didn't watch it all as it does get pretty boring, but it was the intro I was pleased with and that's what I wanted comments on.

The island as a matte was an inspiration born from necessity. Maps/images tend to be copyrighted so I improvised. It's raised a few eyebrows so I think I've struck on something which whilst I'm sure is not unique is something you don't see that often.

As for your suggestions for changes, believe it or not I didn't even consider altering the underexposed photo of my stepson. We thought it wasn't a bad "cool" shot of him and even he was happy with it (used it as his Facebook profile for a while) so I thought I'd let it be. Good to have the feedback though seems I may have been wrong.

And the dissolve - you are singing from the same hymnsheet as me as regards dissolves. I avoid them like the plague unless there's good reason - they're often a sign of someone not knowing how to edit. I admit this was a bit of a cop out. Wherever I put the cut it didn't seem to work and so I tried the dissolve which seemed to me to work. After a succession of fairly quick cuts it calms the pace down a bit before going back into the quick cuts for the titles.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

Thanks to you too, Melvyn. We were there 15th to 29th June. A great time. Just before the schools break up but busy enough that the places were getting into full swing. In particular the reps were still fresh which helped a lot at the hotel.
    Tim

You wus robbed bro you shudda had 4 stars

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    You wus robbed bro you shudda had 4 stars
    Heh, heh, heh. Cheers friend.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast