Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tall tripod for filming live music gigs

Default tall tripod for filming live music gigs

does anyone have a recommendation for a good tripod that will extend up to around 7' and still be rock solid? one of my cameras will be next to a wall but still in w the crowd, so it needs to be tall and not get knocked over easily if some drunk trips over it.

light weight and portability do not matter to me. i already have a light/cheap tripod. i would only be caring this one a couple hundred feet from the car into the bar.

i'd prefer to keep the cost under $200 if possible. i'll just be using a tiny zr900 camera w it for now.

thanks!

-sasha
    Last edited by sasha; 02-02-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: more infoz
    Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

Blog Entries

I just got mine out, erected it fully and it is just over six fully up and is rock solid firm.
    Seven - mine isnt that big.... lols.

That is a vinten pro5 - the cheapest that is any good really.

As for people getting in the way - well I find people often make space for the camera even when I dont want them too - may be ok.

Blog Entries

Bad plan. Anything that can be even remotely regarded as a trip hazard - and a tripod no matter how heavy in a public area with audience milling around, or prancing around etc will be exactly that - shouldn't be used. If you choose to ignore that, make sure you're insured for Public Liabilty up to the hilt. Even then, if you haven't completed a risk assesment you're screwed if someone falls over it in a drunken stupor. The only way you can is to tape it off with hazard signs, and if you do that you then don't need a heavy tripod anymore as it'll be safe.

My advice is to get some sort of clamp (Manfrotto or something similar) and clamp the camera to something else that's fixed and out of harms way.

Trust me - you WILL be sued by some asshole who sees a compensation opportunity. Maybe not at that gig - but it will happen.

EDIT - Something like this stuff Sasha. Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp System | B&H Photo Video
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 02-02-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Bit of advice... If you're going to be panning, make sure you get one with twin legs, something like Mark W's Vinten. That doesn't mean two legs but where each leg has two poles. Anything more than about five or six feet has a tendency to twist unless there are double tube legs.

Next, whatever you get, make sure you get a load of sandbags and place them on the spreaders, by the feet etc.

I would personally try to hang the camera from above if drunks are going to be walking about. If you must use a tripod put some red/white tape (available from any DIY store) around the legs, including at head height. That way if any twat bumps into it and hurts himself, you're better off arguing against any claim he might make. Believe me there are enough tarts out there who will try it on.

Edit: wow, great minds think alike! Just read Andy's same-time post . Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 02-02-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Yea - ignore me - Andy and guru do this moe than me for stuff that matters.
    Gigs and thnings I rarely use a tripod for the reasons mentioned above, and when I have i do get asked about pub liablility insurance - often it is cheap and my cover was included with my camera insurance.

I think people often stay out of my way cos I am just rude and a bit scary looking tbh.

Blog Entries

Insurance can be cheap. - UK Camera Insurance from Aaduki

Blog Entries

Or get Mark W to stand next to you... he is definitely scary looking!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Or get Mark W to stand next to you... he is definitely scary looking!
    Yea - but you know I am really sweet and cuddly....

Hmm... all good points. I'll take a look at the clamp options and also do more scouting to see if there are any other spots I can shoot from that are more out of the way.

Assuming I am able to get a spot off in a corner next to the sound booth or something where no one will trip over it, does anyone have a recommendation on a tripod good for seeing over a crowd? I went through just about every tripod under $200 on B&H and didn't find anything above 6'.

I could probably rig something to extend the head on my cheap tripod another foot or so but I don't imagine that will do much for stability.
    Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

10. Default

hmm... Benbo 2 Tripod can go up to 101" (about 8.5 feet) I'm not sure how that works exactly though, if it's a pain otherwise or if I'd be spending $200 on something that is only good for that one application.

Benbo | 2 Tripod | BEN102 | B&H Photo Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast