Thread: Processor help

Default Processor help

I hope you find this a viable question to answer. I have a Dell 530 PC with a Intel Quad 6600, 2.5G processor and 3G of 800 Ram. I do underwater video so there is a ton of editing, titles, music, color correction and such going on.

My latest video was edited down from 3.5 hours of tape (approx) to 48 minutes of complete video. I'm using ULead 11 Plus for the operation and rendering time in SD takes forever, like 14 hours and 42 minutes. This is fairly normal for the length of my videos.

I understand that the main purpose of a quad processor is so that I can multi-task, but ULead doesn't let me do anything else while it's rendering so I'm wondering if ther is a way of speeding up the process by reconfiguring the processor to run as a dual core or even a single. FYI the only thing this computer does is edit video.

I remember reading about this on one of the many forums I attach myslf to, but can't remember quite where. The htread mentioned something about going into the Administrative tools. From there I'm quite lost.

What say ye............? Any way to do this?
    Last edited by bfisher; 02-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I nkow how on XP - you XP ?

Open task manager, find the active task that is ulead render, right click, set which cores it uses.

You were quick, Mark. Yes, OS is XP Pro. I'll see what I can do.

OK, I'm dumb. How do I get to Task Manager?

Blog Entries

ctrl - alt - delete press all at same time.

Select processes tab.
    Find editor process.
    Right clcick.
    Set affinity.

OK, I did as you said. I assume by editor you mean where it shows Vstudio.exe. Right clicked and nect window showed that all 4 processors are checked.

How about the Priority. Will changing the priority do anything?

By the way, thanks a bunch. This will definitely help me in the future. I'm just wondering though if going to a 3.2G dual core would do me any good. Got any thoughts on that?

Blog Entries

Yes - you can also set priority lower for the render.

I have 2 cores and I sometimes do the core affinity but more often I set the render to below noraml priority and that works fine.

It is also advisable to reset befor a render if the pc has been on for more then a day or so.

Blog Entries

The samll clock speed change you mention will make only a very small difference to your PC's speed.

Mark,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I tried what you suggested and rendering time still sucks. The computer is doing it's job right now and it's taken about 5 1/2 hours to render 40% of 46 minute movie.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the main problem is my editing program. It screws up in other ways, too. I creates skips in the music and during a few transitions during a night dive it created some flashing from scene to scene. This is a first.

The only thing I can do is try another editor. I have Sony Vegas Platinum 9 already installed on the computer. I just have to do a short movie and learn how to use it and compare it to what I'm now using.

Thanks again. I'll be around.

Barry