Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering Problems

Default Rendering Problems

I need help to learn how to properly render files in Vegas Pro 8. I am using AVCHD files imported from a Canon HF100. I put together a movie that is 1.5 minutes long with several events and crossfades and one titler and one audio track. So far the only format I have had any success with is .wmv at the lowest settings (28.8kbps template). Anything other than that and Vegas Pro crashes.

I really need some way to learn the best techniques for importing and rendering files as eventually I'd like to watch these in HD on a blu ray player or apple tv or just on my computer. What is the best way to learn about this? I am thinking about going with the VASST training dvds. Do they cover this?

My computer is a core i7, 6gb RAM, with Vista 64. I have vegas pro 8.0c. I have not installed any scripts, codecs or anything else on Vegas Pro other than what it comes with out of the box. I'm probably too noob to be using such high end software but I figure you got to learn it some day. Thanks fof the help.

Hi Leroy,

I have the Canon HF10 so am in much the same boat as you, when I tried all the different Sony editors I found them more set up to Sony products even to there output properties, so switched to Corel Video Studio Pro X2, not that it's perfect but it gave me the out put I was looking for, I use a WD TV HD Media Player to play HD 1920x1080, I would have proffered to get the Popcorn Hour but it's not available in New Zealand. and another program I tried was Pinnacle Video Studio Ultimate 12, but it wasn't as stable as Corel Pro X2.
    Bryan

That's interesting. Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried other sw yet as I am just getting started. It seems that if I have too many crossfades, or events on a single track that I run into problems. If anyone has tips for the best way to handle all that it would be appreciated.

I like Sony Vegas but maybe I will give Corel a shot.

Hi It's a few months ago now that I was playing around with a trail version of Vegas Pro 8, but from memory it does have a proxy editing option, have you tried that, it would take the pressure of the computer, I always use it on my editing system it's called smart proxy and works in the background, it saves a lot of processor power. my computer is a Core 2 Duo 3 GHz so is not up to the specs of yours but with AVCHD we need all the help we can get.
    Bryan

I'll give that a shot. Does it help with rendering? My preview playback is smooth but as soon as I try and render that is when it craps out.

Sorry no it helps with the scrubbing along the time line, if it crashes when you are outputting the video then it might be a codec I'm not sure how well Sony and Canon AVCHD work together I did read somewere there are different flavors of AVCHD as in all things video they don't ever make things straight forward.

Thanks for all the replies...I'm thinking that I just need to convert the video before I import to Vegas for editing. Any suggestions on what format to convert to before I edit. My main concerns would be that I don't lose too much quality and that it doesnt take forever to convert. Although I could let it convert overnight before I planned to have some time for editing.

This was kind of my plan to try out when I got some more time to mess with it. I have Xillisoft Video Converter that I could use to do the conversion or I could convert it in Vegas which gives more options. So far Vegas only seems to crash when I try to render with many events and crossfades...

As AVCHD is a member of the MPEG family I was wondering would it be possible to convert it to something like avi, a much more editor friendly file format? Haven't tried it myself yet but you wouldn't lose too much quality by converting from AVCHD to avi or would you? If it is possible you could try MPEG_Streamclip1.2 which can be downloaded from Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows and use it. Before you do though, you need to download QuickTimeAlt1.81 as it has all the necessary codecs apparently installed in it for MPEG_Streamclip1.2 to run. I should point out I am not affiliated with either of the two companies that produce these softwares, but with more and more of us changing over to high definition video, there will be a need in 2009 to find solutions to the many problems encountered during this changeover. If this setup works then let us know how you get on.

Hi Nikonsony...Thanks for tip. As I said a few minutes ago I think that is what I am going to have to do; come up with a format that I like for converting the AVCHD files to and then editing from that. I really don't have any experience so it would be total trial and error for me at this point. Soooo thank you very much for your suggestion. I will try that (hopefully tonight) and post here with the results. Hopefully something along these lines will be my solution!

Hi, You might find 1440x1080 a good compromise for Vegas, there's probably a batch converter in your program that you can load all your files into, then the thing to do is drop a still image off from the original and from the converted file, and compare them that way you will see if it's losing much, I converted some from 1920x1080i MTS 16000kbps to 1920x1080i mpg2 25000kbps and was surprised how soft it went.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast