Thread: Duffy - a collaboration

Default Duffy - a collaboration

Hello, i have only just come across this forum, and would like to share my most recent piece of work.

I am a film and video student at the Atrium, Cardiff in Wales (UK)

This piece is a collaboration between myself and a friend exploring the themes and ideas taken from the track 'Duffy' by Venetian Snares. It is a mix of mediums of film techniques and graffiti.

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_uODRTcgE]YouTube - Duffy Final[/ame]

any feedback would be appreciated, hope i havent gone against any rules of the forum, like i say, im new to this

-Scott

Anyone have any comments at all?

thanks

Blog Entries

Four days isnt long to wait. New posters often attract less feedback.

Garuntee quaility feedback by giving the same.

Sorry, im new to this game!

I got bored after watching 2 minutes of it. Lose the split screen as it doesn't add or do anything for the video. Six minutes and eleven seconds could have been condensed into a time lapse video or speeded up video only lasting one third the time. There isn't enough visual variety in it to keep anyone other than graffiti artists interested.

Ah yeah, i should have outlined the projects reasons and intentions.

Basically its for part of my university course. The module was to collaborate with someonefor another discipline.

The reasoning behind this video was based on the track 'Duffy' to be a visual documentation in terms of the graffiti, and along with a thematic based video.

The project when screened was large dual screened simultaneously via two projectors, and had a different effect to that of the split screen version displayed here.

But i understand what you say about getting bored if its not your thing, that was one of the constraints of the project.

(I dislike split screen, but had to put it this way, for it to be marked)

Blog Entries

This is not meant to be negative. This is a genuine attempt to understand.

What are the "themes and ideas" in the music (or perhaps what do you undertsand them to be) and in what ways are you attempting to explorer them in the video?
    Tim

Dont worry, criticism helps to make me better at what i do.

The graffiti piece here is tom ( the artists) visual representation of what the track means to him.

I have tried to explore the repetition, colour and feeling of constant movement that i get from the choppy and chunkyness of the breakbeat track, and using more experimental filming techniques to represent the track, the use of slow shutter speeds/abstractesq images etc

I realise however this piece is in a way 'niche' and probably doesnt appeal to anyone here, unless your a fan of visual arts i.e graffiti or electronic music.

The one positive ive taken from this project is the reception it gained at university level, gaining a 'first grade'

But i do appreciate what everyone has to say here, and feel it will help me with upcoming projects.

Thanks - scott

Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation. Now what I make of it.

With the right hand projection I can see what you're doing now - I can see how you've interpreted the music. It doesn't always work for me - for instance I think there's far too much of the coloured lights bits - they're good but don't hold my interest nearly as much as "treated" video of recognisable objects (streets, buildings etc). For me the video works best if I only look at this side.

The left projection is dull. It doesn't do what it purports to do. It looks like a failed documentary - like one of the youtube hordes has got a camera and is filming his mate.

Sorry, but to my mind there are two paths this sort of film can take - a technical "this is how I did it" type of docu or a more interesting (in my opinion), "this is how I conceived and designed it". Yours did neither.

The former could simply be a time lapse (or variation thereof) of the design being painted.***
    The latter could show Tom pouring over sketches of ideas, scribbling madly, throwing away ideas, experimenting with colours etc, before eventually approaching the wall, can in hand (you could stop it there, cut to the finished article or do a timelapse there)

What we actually got was someone spray painting from a variety of angles then the final reveal - though actually you missed a trick here, the shots of Tom painting were wide enough that we could often see much of the whole painting. It might hae worked if there'd been a bit of a mystery to it, only letting us see very small parts of the painting until the end.

Just one blokes opinion. I'm quite possibly way off track. I certainly don't think it's bad, but I do think you missed an opportunity for it to be a lot better.

Congrats on the "first grade" - that will have come from a possibly better informed but certainly much more important bloke/group of people in your life

*** OK I've just looked again and you have sort of done this. The problem is it's not obvious as he's spraying over old designs. Might have worked better if you'd sprayed the wall area one colour first?
    Tim

I donít mind a split screen video, itís like a work out for the brain, I can only assume youíre going for maximum effect here, the pace did seem to drop off from the opening blinder.
    For a mixed medium video itís not bad, but many will struggle to stick with it.
    I really think it needs a shorter running time, like the music it tends to repeat without going forward, and even art pieces need to consider peopleís attention span, nice tag.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo